Pirate 4x4 banner

Shock Suggestions

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  tys 
#1 ·
Ive sprung over my 84 cj7 with wrangler springs-factory, 44 front/60 rear, and have a set of f-250 shock towers for the front. looking for suggestions on shock lenth, and mounting positions . Also suggestions on shock brands that seem to be living on the trail. This jeep will be doing almost no street driving at all..Just don't want to have to invest a lot of money on the trial and error route if I can help it..Don't want to limmit travel, or pick the wrong spot and have to re-do a set of mounts..

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Jeff

#2 ·
i am pretty sure that the Rancho 9012 (5012 if you want non-adjustable) is the longest shock on the market, besides external reservoir shocks, i run RS9000's and plenty of my buddies run them and so far none of the shocks have given major troubles and have lasted for quite a while, the 9012(or 5012) has an eye on either end so your F-250 towers should work, you pay for quality so the RS9000's run a little under $300 for all four unless someone else on the board can get them cheeper

#5 ·
I have a set of 9012's front and rear on my full width YJ. I bottom out the front ones only when in extreme droop and the rears NEVER come close to bottoming, or topping. They're angled in at about 40 deg. The only thing I'd change is I would have bought the 5012's because they're cheaper. I honestly never mess around with those adjustable knobs. I set them and left them alone, plus alot of people end up breaking off those dinky plastic knobs anyways.

#6 ·
The Bilstien 5100 series comes in a version that is about 1" longer than the 5012/9012.
I ran R9012's for more than 5 years, and I liked them a lot except for on steep climbs when a little quicker dampening was needed to help keep the shocks from packing up,...then I ran the Bilsteins at the recomendation of Bob Roggy, and I have never looked back.
U get it (Kevin, from the Pirates) just did a write up on his Bilsteins.
The 5100's cost about the same as the R9000's and come nickle plated.
I run the 5100's in the front and remote resrvoir 7100's in the rear (custom valved to be used on a 45 deg angle, and set up for very quick rebound). Custom Valving and dampening is an option with the 7100's along with remote reservoirs, (cost: about $170 each, with reservoirs).
Ranchos, are a good shock, but Bilsteins out perform them hands down, in my opinion.

#7 ·
H8monday said:
The Bilstien 5100 series comes in a version that is about 1" longer than the 5012/9012.
I ran R9012's for more than 5 years, and I liked them a lot except for on steep climbs when a little quicker dampening was needed to help keep the shocks from packing up,...then I ran the Bilsteins at the recomendation of Bob Roggy, and I have never looked back.
U get it (Kevin, from the Pirates) just did a write up on his Bilsteins.
The 5100's cost about the same as the R9000's and come nickle plated.
I run the 5100's in the front and remote resrvoir 7100's in the rear (custom valved to be used on a 45 deg angle, and set up for very quick rebound). Custom Valving and dampening is an option with the 7100's along with remote reservoirs, (cost: about $170 each, with reservoirs).
Ranchos, are a good shock, but Bilsteins out perform them hands down, in my opinion.
mmm, nickel plate - BLING BLING:flipoff2:

#8 ·
Speaking of the Ford Shock Towers, what's the difference in height of those F250 towers compared to the 82+ Jeep towers? My 79 had the shock towers on it till this weekend. I found an 84 CJ in the junk yard, and unbolted those to install on my 79 (which is also SOA w/ YJ packs), but was told I should use the Ford towers instead. How much longer are the ford towers over the 82+ CJ towers?

Thanks,
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.