Pirate 4x4 banner

5 or 8 lug??

890 views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  The Rockslut 
#1 ·
Looking for opinions here. I've got a D60 rear right now that is dual hub 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5. I've got a D44 front on the way that is 8 lug. I know there are advantages to going both ways, but what lug pattern would you keep? Keep cost as an issue. If I stay 8 I need to change the rear and I have to change the front if I go 5 on 5.5. I'm going to need new wheels either way so that's not a concern here.

If anyone wants to chime in with easiest ways to convert either front or rear that's fine too.

Thanks!

#2 ·
really and truely it makes no difference but i prefer 8 lugs myself. why? because my front 60 and rear 14bolt were already 8 lug easy and cheaper that way. if i were you i'd go 8 becuase if/when you decide to go front 60 in the future you will already have 8 lug rims and rear end. just my op.

#3 ·
I had to make that choice too. I have a 60 rear with the warn FF kit that comes with the 5 on 5.5 stuff. I had to convert the front 44 to 5 on 5.5. It was a pain but I think its the way to go. The average person on the trail will have 5 on 5.5, so if you need a spare, etc. chances are the people you're with or encounter will have what you need.
But thats just the way I feel... better running a more standard bolt pattern.

#4 ·
I see no reason to spend money on keeping the 5 on 5.5 or 5 on 4.5 since you really gain nothing.. Lots of talk about swaping tires on the trail etc.. BS... there are lots of tow rigs to swap with. IMO the 15 inch and the 16 inch 8 lug wheels are superior in every aspect.

#5 ·
No question! 8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug8lug

#10 ·
Change the rear??? Fawk that just go to U-JURK-IT and for $75 you have an 8 lug 14B, 60, or 70. Done. If you go 5 or 6 you are stuck with a semifloat rear so if you want to run a full floater rear you are screwed unless you go 8 lug. 8 lug is easy to find on the trail as long as you run trails that have allot of trailered rigs because most of the hard core rigs run 8 lug because you can't turn down the hub on a FF rear to make 5 or 6 lug work. I know you can do it with a 14B but it is allot of work.
now that I think about it the hubs on your 60 are probably the same as any other 60 so just swap the hubs off another 60.

#13 ·
It seems to me you could sell the 60 five-lug stuff to one of the many people that want to keep their 5 on 5 wheels.
Then, use that money to buy some, cheaper, 8 lug parts. Just a guess from someone who has been looking at this swap for way too long.

#14 ·
go 8 lug. you everyone dones it sooner or later. like me! i have MT classic 2 wheels (5 on 5.5) and not i have to sell them cuz i am going 60 front and a FF 60 rear. less things to buy when you swap to real axles

Chris G.

#17 ·
ashmanjeepXJ said:
hay 8-lug guys, Im looking for some 15X8in rims with 3.5in BS, US-wheels is back ordered ive been waiting for 5 weeks and no rims!!

Just need some steelies...any one know where there are any in stock?

GO 8-lug, but finding rims sucks...
Stockton wheel has 15x8 3.5" BS 8 lugs on the shelf in stock. I have a set on my rig. Very nice wheel and the price wasnt that bad either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.