Pirate 4x4 banner

Camber is way off what can I do

19K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  evel_knievel34 
#1 ·
I have a severe amount of positive camber in the front of my TJ. From the front the wheels look like this \ /. The outside of my tires are almost gone and they have less than 9,000 miles and have been rotated 3 times.
I have a 2000 TJ and from all I have read camber is fixed. But I have to fiqure out something I cann't afford to purchase another set of tires this soon. I have a 4 inch terflex lift. I just moved off to go to college and have been out of work so money is very tight is there anything I can do to fix it. I really can't afford to get a profesional allignment untill I can find a new job.

#2 ·
I don't recall the TJ front axle does the upper knuckle where the ball joint attaches, does it have a bushing between the ball joint bolt or shaft and the knuckle or is there just the hole for the ball joint and no bushing. If there is a bushing check if it is off center if stock most likely centered but if there is a bushing some company, Hunter comes to mind will make one that you can adjust the camber and caster slightly. When you lifted your jeep did you keep the caster the same? I can't picture it makeing much of a difference especially to a more positive camber. Are your tires just worn on the outer edges or are they feathered or chopped across the tire but worn on the outer edges if thats the case then total toe would be your coulprit, to much positive toe. Im going to stop guessing on other things to check you asked about camber adjusting so if it can be adjusted would have the bushing as explained above on the upper ball joint or the lower though I don't recall ever seeing one on the lower.

#4 ·
CJ7- the camber is fixed from the factory and there are no bushings in the top hole. Specialty products makes offset balljoints in .5 degree increments up to 2 degrees total.

That said, I would get an alignment first to see what the actual problem is.

Many TJ's when viewed from the front do give the illusion that the front axle is whacked a bit and the tires lean. Some sort of a wierd optical illusion in most cases.

Have it checked.

#5 ·
There is no camber adjustment on "most" solid axle vehicles. You can adjust caster with your control arms and as was already mentioned there are offset balljoints that you can purchase. If you think your camber is off then you may have a bent axle tube or something else is not right. Get an alignment as mentioned above.

#6 ·
evel_knievel34 said:
I have a severe amount of positive camber in the front of my TJ. From the front the wheels look like this \ /. I have a 4 inch terflex lift
If you bent the axle from landing hard on it, it would be / \, mine is slightly bent.

Your teraflex kit is that adjustable arms?

If so im guessing your caster is off and when your caster is off your camper will change. No the camber is not adjustable but as your axle rotates (caster) the camber also changes. Check your tow with a tape measure and check the caster angle. most guys set to about 7-8 degrees caster. This will only slightly effect the camber, but it sounds like alot of tire ware...what did you do..

#10 ·
Tj's don't really have a spindle, but I suppose something could be fabbed that would resemble a tapered spindle shim to stick behind the unit bearing assembly. It would have the same effect. I still contend that it's the toe from the lift that's causing his tire wear.

#13 ·
I checked my toe in today and it was way off. I adjusted it and know there seems to be no camber. I had it alligned the day aftrer I put my lift on and everything had been fine for a couple of months. I just recently put this set of tires on and the trouble seemed to start then but I believe it was just a coincidence.
My toe was nearly two inches but I could find no sign that anything had bent and the thread s seemed to be find. I had no idea that the toe in being that off would make it appear to have that much camber that's what had me worried. But know everything seems to be okay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.