Pirate 4x4 banner

ax15 bellhousing question

919 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  GaJeep94YJ 
#1 ·
question for you. a jeep chick friend of mine cracked her belhousing on her TJ the other day. she has a 2000. my question is will a 93 and up yj 4.0 to ax15 bellhousing work?. I know YJ and tjs had different pilot bearings but as far as I know that is the only difference. I found this out b/c I have a 98 4.0 in my 94 yj with a 90 ax15.

so will a 93+ ax15 Bell housing work on her TJ. these would make a junk yard search much easier.

also if she has a nv3550 will the same bellhousing work? it was 2000 that the nv3550 was introduced right?

PS in case you haven't figured out I am not a tj person.

#3 ·
2000 was a cross over year so she could have either tranny. If it is a NV then it would be the 3500. The NV3550 came out the following year. I don't know if an NV and AX bh's are interchangable, but I doubt it. I am pretty sure the 3500 and 3550 bh's are interchangable though. Can you pull the bh and have it welded?

#5 ·
the NV is an americam tranny, the AX is a Jap tranny so I doubt the patterns are the same.

I think, and I could be wrong, but the 3500's have an integrated BH like an auto, and the 3550's are seperate.

the BH should be aluminum, which can eb welded, but for what they'd probably charge, id Just look to a scrap yard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.