Pirate 4x4 banner

zj 5.9 & aw4 into a TJ.... doable?

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  JeeperJake 
#1 ·
ok im toying with ideas for the jeep..... yeah yeah i know i should get the jeep back on the road before i even think about another project. but anyways..... im seriously thinking about a v8 from a grand cherokee and an aw4.

mainly im looking at this swap because of the jeep stuff is all run off basicly the same computer system so making it all work shouldnt be too bad.

does anyone have any insites into this swap. i know someone did a aw4 into a tj and ive seen a the 5.9 in a yj.

any info would be helpful. i was thinking about maybe putting this all together and getting an atlas to go behind it. then sliding the whole deal in when its all ready.

thanks

DP

#4 · (Edited)
Someone is selling a 5.9/NV4500/241 for $1500 on the FS board right now. Might be a little long for a TJ. I would be interested in hearing if someone dropped one of these into an XJ/TJ and what the engine mounts look like.

SeanP

#7 ·
robobx said:
http://www.foothills4x4.com/stretchedtj.htm

THis has a 5.9 and Atlas but I don't remember what tranny. Call and ask for Buddy, he's pretty nice, pick his brain.

It has a 5.9 out of a Dodge Truck and had a stock 231 t-case, but is now getting a 205. The auto is either a 904 or 999.

#9 ·
hmmm the way it sounds most of these setups you guys are saying have 999's behind them. it might not be a bad idea for me to just leave my 999 (which had been rebuild completly) where it is and just swap the motor out. then if i HAVE to look at the tranny later.

thanks ill look at the links.

DP

#14 ·
Well my suggestion is to do the WHOLE DRIVETRAIN at the same time. Powerplant, Tranny, Transfer case, drivelines, and axles. You will only have to do everything once, much easier.

I'd look into using a bigger dodge tranny, it SHOULD hold up just fine, just put a strong cooler on it.

Good Luck :D

#16 ·
Blazin77OR said:
I believe the fammed Currie "FireAnt" runs the 5.9 along with a mopar trans...
Nope. 4.7L

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.