Pirate 4x4 banner

Fabbing 350 Motor Mounts in YJ

11K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  High5 
#1 ·
I'm about to drop a F.I. Small block Chevy/SM465/NP205 into my YJ and I'd rather fab my own motor mounts up using factory parts rather than buying the high dollars A.A. ones...

Can anyone give me any advice on what I should look for motor mounts out of or pics on how you fabbed yours up?

Thanks,

jjkee@hardcore4wd.com

BTW, yes I'm a newbie and yes I used the search!!!

#4 ·
take a 1/4" plate and cut it into a triangular shape to cover all three bolt holes in block, take a piece of channel (approx 6-8" long), miter to fit plate, weld in place. Take a piece of box tubing (4") , cut into wedge shape and mount to frame rail, lower engine into wedge shapes, drill and bolt using Ford radius arm bushings for mounts, some large washers (radius arm washers work well)
If you need to adjust height you can use same washers..they are very thick, work well to adjust height. It sounds more complicated than it is. If you look at AA's mounts thats basically just a piece of channel with a bunch of holes in it.
Good luck

#5 ·
I just started building my Jeep.I used a pair of stock chevy truck mounts.Had a new set laying around.I bolted a piece of 1/4 plate to these.Next I will weld a piece of square tubing miter to the plate.This will be welded to the frame where need be.You will need the stock clam shell piece that bolts to the motor also.
The MORE mounts are nice but at $205 for the CJ ones forget it.This will buy the radiator.Blazin:D

#6 ·
I have built a few sets using 68 camaro smallblaock motor mounts. Bolt them to engine use some small tube between bolt hole to frame mount. Make 1/4 inch plate to bolt to frame. Run 1/4 inch plate from tube to frame and gusset bottom. Done in maybe hour and halve and 20 dollars worth of matierals.

#7 ·
1BDYJ said:
take a 1/4" plate and cut it into a triangular shape to cover all three bolt holes in block
You can use the same chevy mounts for this ( the part that bolts to the block. They already have the 3 holes !. That's how I did it in my mounts and they work perfect.). You only need to cut a little bit of the edges of each plates, in order to make a good weld of the channel.

#15 ·
be carefull welding mounts and brackets that see any stress to the inner side of a cj frame. the two "C" channels used to make up a cj frame are not equal. the inner part is pretty thin and will usually crack or tear if a braket that see's stress is welded to it. i would support that mount to the outter part of the frame some how.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.