Pirate 4x4 banner

Yj Info?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Taso Stambolis 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been wheeling Samurai's & Yotas for a long time, but I just bought my first Jeep (1992 Yj w/ 2000 2.5L) last night. I want to build it up, but I don't know that much about Jeep running gear and specs. Where can I finf out info like:

1 - What type of t-case do I have?
2 - Whats the stock low range gear ratio in my t-case?
3 - WHats the gear ratio on 1st & 2nd gear in my tranny?

I have been doing some reading on Jeeps, but I am still trying to figure everything out.

I appreciate the help!

#4 · (Edited)
And you have 3:07's in the diff's unless someone swapped them out.

:rolleyes: Wrong. :flipoff2:

He has a 2.5L 4 cyl, so he has 4.10 gears. The front axle is a d30 reverse rotation with 260 u-joints. The rear is a d35 c-clip axle. The front can be upgade the rear should be thrown in the trash. The tranny is an AX-5 if a 5 spd, good for the 4 popper, but too weak for anything else. The first gear is right around 4.0-1 I have no idea what second is. If it is an auto it is a TF-999. No idea on the ratios for an auto. The t-case is an NP 231 with a 2.72-1 low range and a 21 spline input if 5 spd, 23 long input if auto. HTH

#5 · (Edited)
DE Jeeper said:

:rolleyes: Wrong. He has a 2.5L 4 cyl, so he has 4.10 gears.

Uuh... Not necessarily.
He said the motor was a swapped in y2k 2.5L. The gears in the diffs could be ANYTHING. Sorta depends on what the STOCK vehicle was...

Are the axles even still stock?
Is it a 5 spd. or Auto?
Was the stock motor a 4 banger?

#6 ·
Kilby said:

Uuh... Not necessarily.
He said the motor was a swapped in y2k 2.5L. The gears in the diffs could be ANYTHING. Sorta depends on what the STOCK vehicle was...

Are the axles even still stock?
I guess you are right, but what kind of idiot would ever swap a 4 cly in place of a 4.0l. I guess anything is possible.

#7 ·
I have absolutely no idea what the axles, tranny, etc come from.
The guy's original motor blew and he sold it to a small car dealership that likes to fix up cars. They had another buddy that swapped a small block into a 2000 to turn it into a Sand Buggy (happens alot out here in Oregon). So they took his motor (and I assume thr tranny too) and put it in this Jeep. They might have swapped out the axles as well, especialy if they ran into spline differences between the driveshafts from a '92 to a 2000.
Is there an easy way to tell from the axle housing (like a stamped model number) what year it is from? I am use to doing that on Sammy's & Toy's but I am sure you guys know exactly where I should look.

I don't really care too much on the gears that I have in there since they'll be coming out anyway, my concern is what axle they are, because if they are form a TJ, then I need to order different gears right? I believe I read that TJ's had a different axle.

#8 ·
I am sure the old engine was a 4 popper and they put a newer one in becuase you would not need to change anything else. You still have not said if it was an auto or 5 spd?

As far as the axles the TJ has a regular rotation d30, but the rear d35 would be the same. I am sure you have YJ axles because the TJ is a coil spring and the YJ is a leaf spring the brackets and mounts are completely different. Keep in mind though that people do strange things so you are right you might have weird stuff under this Jeep.

Take some digital pics and we will tell you what you have.

#9 ·
I dont have a dig camera, but I have a scanner. So It might take me until tomorrow to get some pics for it.

Its a 5 speed (why woudl I get anything else? ).

I doubt the torched off the coil mounts for spring perches. I bet I have the regular reversed front and c-clip'd rear.

#10 ·
Don't waste your money on the d35, it's a turd, as soon as you lock it with 33's you will contantly break shafts. Get a d44, Ford 8.8 or a d60 for the rear. Do a search because there is a ton of info on all of these axles.

#12 ·
And by the way my friend has a D35 locked with 35s, hasnt broke anything. Stronger than we thought it was.
Yeah, well you guys ain't thinking right, I've seen at least 5 of these blown in what the Pirate board would call mild wheeling situations. It's just a matter of time :)

The YJ actually has 4.10's in one axle and 4.11's in the other, don't ask me which is which though, I forget.

David

#13 ·
D35=TURD

I know it has been covered, but these things seriously suck! I have seen shafts break in a XJ on 235's with a sackless 2.8:eek: For the record, that was with welded gears, on a relatively easy section of an old stream bed in Merideth, NH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.