Pirate 4x4 banner

Rubicon D44 swap

4K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  biggin 
#1 ·
What do you guys think of a Rubicon D44 swap to replace my existing D35 w/trac-lock? I called up the local stealership today and
was quoted $2000 for the entire axle and locker etc. Of course i'd have to run the stuff for the locker and figure out what to do with my
existing ABS, but aside from that, how possible do you think it would be?
Thanks for any and all input.
matt
BTW, i drive a 97' TJ :)

#3 ·
Well considering its bolt on of course its possible. And I'd like to know how in the hell you got a quote of $2k, thts not bad considering its from the dealership.

Also I know there is a guy selling a TJ Dana 44 for 1100 somewhere on this board. WHy dont you go that route? Much cheaper.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm still a bit skeptical about the 2k quote... i was honestly expecting more around 6k from the dealer, seeing as how i've heard of frone 30's going for ~ 3k:rolleyes:.
The main things that are pushing me into looking in this direction are the Rubicon locker and the stronger axle. I want a selectable locker, but in the rear, "all time" on/off road traction devices are of much benefit here in CO. Simply going to a selectable locker would actually be taking a step down from my trac-loc as far as on-road driving in slushy conditions. The rubi locker runs as a LSD when not locked, which is a major plus for me. I'd either OX or (more likely if the Rubi44 works out) ARB the front. The benifit of the 44 would just be getting the 35 out of there. Also, something a standard 44 wouldn't offer, would be the rear disc brakes. All that combined with the fact that the gearing is already installed make it a pretty sweet deal for 2k IMHO. Again though, i'm still leary about the quoted price. He said that included everything, but i'd have to see it to believe it.

So far i've gathered from others that i'd need to swap in a shorter driveshaft. How about fixing the problem of my ABS? I assume ABS won't be compatable with a 44. Is there any way i can remove the entire ABS system?
Thanks for the replies; i appreciate the info.
matt

#5 ·
I would expect the 44 to have ABS and that is part of the reason that it would be a really nice way to go as opposed to makeing a 44 because you would have to get all the ABS stuff from a Dodge 1500 or something so that it would work.

#6 · (Edited)
Considering my local dealer wants $900 for a TJ D44 housing only...I'd be way more than VERY skeptical for a TJ D44, shafts, locker, gears and disks assembled for $2000....I just can't see the dealer doing that. Considering the ass-raping prices they want on most stuff, I would definately not get my hopes up on that one...maybe, but not likely. :D

#7 ·
My TJ 44 rear didn't have ABS, and I don't think it was even an option on the 44s. At least not on the 2k TJs, that may change perhaps with rubicon rear disks I guess. The 44 option only came with 3.73 gears, the trac loc and NO ABS, I believe.

You dont want the ABS when you wheel though. I hated it on my 97 TJ, when I would go to wheel on slopes and stuff, it wouldn't ever work when I NEEDED it the most. It just bugged me.

#8 ·
I don't believe the Rubicons come with ABS, but I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

#9 ·
there is no fawkin way that quote was correct. I'd suggest talking to someone else before you get your hopes up any more. on the flip side, go rape that guy as quick as you can. See how far you can get w/ that price before he nails you. :eek:

#10 ·
P&T jeeps said:
there is no fawkin way that quote was correct. I'd suggest talking to someone else before you get your hopes up any more. on the flip side, go rape that guy as quick as you can. See how far you can get w/ that price before he nails you. :eek:
Haha, i hear that. I'm still not believing what the dealer(s) are telling me regarding that, but heck, if they keep swearing it right up untill i walk out the door with it, no skin off my back.
I'm still in the process of talking with a few dealers that quoted me that and finding out EXACTLY what is included.

My main concern right now is the ABS problem. Can ABS be removed? If so, how easily? This is something i've been kicking myself for ever since buying the Jeep back in 99. Well, that and the D35.;)
Thanks,
matt

#11 ·
AFFAIK, abs is a whole seperate computer in the TJ's
I would think that "removing" the abs would be no more complicated than un-plugging the computer and leaving everything else alone.

btw, since these dealers are swearing up and down on the axles, did they give you a sworn priceon the locker, alone?:D

#13 ·
All right; i got tired of talking over the phone and through e-mail, so i went down there to the dealer who had quoted me the price and got the real info:

That price of $2000 is for the housing, 4.10 gears and locker. If you want the shafts to go with that, you're looking at $500 per side. The disc brake assembly would run another additional ~$1000. So, all in all, it'd be more like 4k for the entire rear axle. Still not horrible considering A) the bastard 44's Currie charges for and B) that's from a dealer. Still though, i'm not looking to drop anywhere kear 4k on an axle.
Back to the drawing board i guess. :D
matt
BTW, sounds like the lockre alone might be much cheaper than, say an OX, if the entire housing, gears and locker were only 2k.

#14 ·
You could always get some 44s out of a Wagoneer for half as cheap and rebuild those. Theres nothing really special about the Rubicon Locker, really. Just get OXs front and rear if thats what your looking for.

Hell Ive got some Wagoneer 44s, driver drop, centered rear that Ill sell you for $500. PM me.

#15 ·
I am trying to find out one simple answer.

What Outers come on the front Rubicon Dana 44?
Actual Dana 44 stuff or crappy assed Dana 30, Wrangler TJ style?

Just wondering, I already have a "Real" dana 44 but want to be armed with this information in case it comes up.

#16 ·

Just wondering, I already have a "Real" dana 44 but want to be armed with this information in case it comes up.

I want to be armed with that info as well.
AND this:

Is the rumor true that the Rubi 44 carrier will not accept lower gears than stock 4.10?

#17 ·
mrmacrro said:

They come with the crappy assed Dana 30, Wrangler TJ style.

#18 ·
That is exactly what I expected out of todays "Jeep"

FUCK-ING-GAY.

Why bother with the Dana 44 if it light duty?

Will they ever truely understand what we are doing with these vehicles?

I seriously doubt it.

Fucking Stupid German-Jeeps!! < Diamer/Chrysler = German-Jeeps

#19 ·
Check your Gearing options first! A buddy of mine picked a pair, Front and Rear, and is having a hell of a time swapping the gears. Last I heard there were only the Factory gearing available. Unless you want to swap the carrier. Sorry, don't recall the whole story, but the carrier isn't a typical D44 carrier. the Jap company that makes that locker set up used a completly new carrier with these whimpy looking ring gear bolts (about 3mm samller diameter over other D44 Ring gear bolts.) you can imagine the problems that creates. not to mention the mounting surface for the ring gear sits further back from the pinion making the ring gear thicker to be able to rech the pinion.

Call some of the gear houses and ask them for more info. Make sure to specify RUBI 44 and that the carrier are different. if they say they aren't... HANG UP!

brent

#20 ·
mrmacrro said:

Will they ever truely understand what we are doing with these vehicles?

I seriously doubt it.

Fucking Stupid German-Jeeps!! < Diamer/Chrysler = German-Jeeps
Let's see, you have 1 percent of the jeep purchasers actually hitting the dirt with their shiny new buggies, half of those run service trails and fire roads, the other half actually cares whether or not they improve the wheeling capability or their rigs.

In the half that cares, only half of them ever need anything bigger than the 30/35 that came stock.

Yeah, even if DC cared passionately, the market share is so miniscule that even paying the slightest bit of attention to their needs is not justified.

Case in point is the Rubicon. It's a magazine jeep, built so they can tout front and rear 44 yada yada yada. Really though, who would build a low pinion front anything given the fact that they have access to the castings and everything else to do it HP? It wasn't built with wheelin in mind, they just wanted to be able to say it had front and rear 44's.

#21 ·
The main things that are pushing me into looking in this direction are the Rubicon locker and the stronger axle. I want a selectable locker, but in the rear, "all time" on/off road traction devices are of much benefit here in CO.

matt [/B][/QUOTE]

The "rubicon 44" is no different than the 44's that came on regular TJ's other than the selectable locker. Or when you say stronger do you mean stronger than your 35?

#22 ·
Actually the Rubicon 44 is diferent than the standard TJ 44 in that the Rubicon carrier is narrower than the standard carrier to accomadate the Rubicons locker. And I'm sure that would become an issue if you wanted to change anything internaly. I have the d44 in my TJ posted in the "for sale 4x4", I also have the drive shaft if you would need it.

John

#24 ·
Might not be a bad choice for the rear, but I am not wasting my time putting a std 44 up front, not to mention with 30 outers. AFAIK, most of the newer jeeps don't come with ABS. It is an option but not common even on, yes I will say it, Libertys. From what I remember the last TJ i drove had a 44 and only front ABS.

#26 ·
just a bit of info, superior makes crmo evolution axles for the rubicon d44s both front and rear. the front outers are 27 spline the inners are 30. the rears are 30 spline. The are $$ though.

Gears are available in 4.56 (superior) & 4.88 (yukon), i believe they are both thick cut.

Check ebay for rubi axles, i have seen them posted there before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.