Pirate 4x4 banner

FULL WIDTH w/o tires sticking out

24K views 50 replies 29 participants last post by  wildgoose 
#1 ·
First of all i searched all 17 pages of results for full widths.
I trying to decide if i will be able to have full width axles and be able tod drive on the road without the tires sticking out too far.
I am thinking the narrowest of fullwidth and less of a backspacing might make it possible.
ANother alternative would be using early bronco axles or getting some fullwidths narrowed.
Im trying to find the cheapest way. Im probaly going to go with a d44 and 9 inch rear.
WHat would u all do?

oh ya pics would help
thanks

#6 ·
'81 and up Waggy Dana 44 front, Early Bronco 9" rear, or Early F-100 9", the EB 9" is 58.5" wide, 2" narrower than stock YJ. the F-100 is 63" wide, but the Waggy front is 60" wide. If you're set on full-size full width you're looking at roughly 67" wide, look at late seventies F-250's with leaf springs, drivers drop HP Dana 44 with spring pads on top, usualy have flat top knuckles and 5 on 5.5 F-150 stuff bolts right on, or run eight lug with those HUGE dual piston calipers.

#7 ·
I really dont want full width but i cant afford as custom axle.
The waggys seem like the way to go.
DO u think they will hold up to 38's and a small block?
I think i have a line on a 9 inch ill have to check the witdth on it first though
thanks

and by the way who are these newbies you guys talk about?:flipoff2:

#9 ·
youll want a big rim, a 16 or 16.5, Tire cost can be more over the 15in but with 15in you will need 3.5in BS (pretty wide) and Im still wating on my 15X8 8lub with 3.5s wim order for 5 weeks, so keep that in mind, yea there a good solution but will take forever to get to your house.

Get the 16in rim or hummer rims 16.5 beadlocks with what is it 5.5in BS.

With the 65in WMS axles and 3.5in BS on 8in rims and 1250 tire I will be 10.5in wider then my jeep with factory rims and axles. The front will be alittle wider.

#10 ·
If you don't go eight lug you won't have to grind a thing. I have an eight lug 44, 15" wheels with 3.5" backspacing and didn't have to grind much at all. Sticking with five or six lug eliminates the need to gring anything.

#11 ·
MASTER_of_DISASTER said:
I really dont want full width but i cant afford as custom axle.
The waggys seem like the way to go.
DO u think they will hold up to 38's and a small block?
I think i have a line on a 9 inch ill have to check the witdth on it first though
thanks

and by the way who are these newbies you guys talk about?:flipoff2:
I would answer yes to that question. It will hold up to 38 and a small block. With a axle mod and u-joint mod. I know I know more money!:flipoff2:

#12 ·
On my CJ7 I went with a FF truck 14 bolt at the stock width and Hummer wheels w/ 38*12.50 swampers. The tires stick almost 6" outside the tub. With the YJ it would be close enough to covered by the stock flairs to be legal. At the front I used the matching Dana 60 which was narrowed 4" on the long side (to make the diff-springpad line up) and 2" spacers so the steering clears the Hummer wheels (and protects the hub). I'm very happy with the outcome. The Hummer wheel offset makes a big difference, and my tires aren't wide.

#13 · (Edited)
ok thanks alot for all the info.
ILl probaly stay away from the 8 lug.

I dont really want to run a 12.50 tire on a 8 inch rim because i run alot of sand around here locallyand thats just skinny.
It seems if i could find waggy front and a little narrower 9 inch in the rear it would be a good setup.
What are the chances of finding a waggy front? what about the narrow track.? WHat about the x fer case to match up with the pass side diff?
What do you all think will be the best way for me to do this without a currie or some other brand built axle?

#14 ·
MASTER_of_DISASTER said:
What are the chances of finding a waggy front? what about the narrow track.? WHat about the x fer case to match up with the pass side diff?
Waggies are all over in the junkyards. Hit the pick n pulls for the best deals. All Waggie 44's are narrow track. If you look at '80-91 waggies they are driver's side drop, so you use your existing t-case. Do a search on Waggie 44. It's been covered over and over and over and over... you get the idea.

#18 ·
go with scout dana 44 axles they should be the right width and have a 5 x 51/2 bolt pattern they are about the same width as the axles you have 58" wms. they should be stout enough for sand running as long as you dont jump alot of stuff. just curious why not wanting to run full width seems to be the way to go for stablity and strength. just wondering. also think about the fenders and the frame rubbing the tire when you flew if you get the wheels with alot of backspacing. i had stock axles and fat tires and the tires would scrap the side of the frame and could rub through. just a thought. or run 1 tons and hummer wheels they have a 7.5 back spacing.

#20 ·
You could run a 9" and d44 from an F-150, which are about 65-66" WMS to WMS. Then get a 15x10 wheel with a higher backspacing, somewhere around 5". It may take a while to find, but they should be out there. Then get some extended TJ flares so you can open up those wheel wells some and cover your tires a little better. One of the guys in my club is running a 9" and HP44 on his YJ with 36x14.50 PJ's and the bestop TJ extended flares. I believe he goes by biggreenjeep on here. I can't get any of his links to work from previous posts so you may want to ask him.

#22 ·
i would just run waggy axles.. front and rear.. or..

get yourself a set of axles from a cab and chassis truck.. the rear will be good.. just have to narrow the front.. im doing a front dodge d60 right now.. sitting in my yard waiting for my lazy ass to grind off the other knuckle... then i cut and weld.. send the shafts off.. for about 100 bucks.. im cutting it down to 64"..

right now im running a waggy front with a d60-2 rear at 63" and i have 35x12.5 tires with 6" flares.. completly street legal.. i have exactly 2" sticking out.. max state law..

#23 ·
Hummer wheels and 38*12.50 TSLs + '82 K30 FF 14 bolt = ~78"
Hummer wheels and 38*12.50 TSLs + '82 K30 Dana 60 - 4" (narrowed) + 4" (Spacers) = ~80"

The narrowing and spacers were used to match the stock passenger spring pad to the spring location & clear the steering/protect the hubs. All this is on a '80 CJ7.

#25 ·
hahahahah! thats pretty funny dude.but seriously i am in the midst of the slapping in 60's with humvees but having some problems ....well issues....im tired of fawking with it already.seems im the only one here with a ford 60 into a tj with hummer wheels having all kinds of dilemas...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.