Pirate 4x4 banner

Another Locker ?

556 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  renegade360 
#1 · (Edited)
Another Locker question Please help.

Time to lock up the CJ. I'm looking for advice on what to use. The searches haven't yielded all of the info I'm looking for. I'll start with what I have:

Running an AMC 360, TH400 tranny, Quadratrac w/Part time kit, D30, AMC20 W/Moser's, BFG33 MT, 3.54R&P.

Uses, In future(now that it is running again) 60% on road, 40%off.

Off road will mostly be sand/ mud. I have yet to find any rocks in North Florida but I'm still looking. Once locked I'll be taking trips to the closest Real trails I can find including Tellico. Maybe some year a trip or two out west but I don't forsee that in the next five years. Also no Ice or snow driving.

Front: Because of light weight front axle I'm thinking of dropping in a lockright.
Yeah it's not as strong as others, but until I replace my front end with something beafier like a custom 44 or 9" why waste the money on a detroit, or OX? But if you have a good reason please enlighten me.

Rear: this is where I'm at a loss. I've thought about a lock right here, but am not sure about it's on road manners. I like the idea of the Gearless and am leaning towards it for now. the reason being, it's quiet and I can get it for the same price as the lockright. Then there's the no-slip, which is basically a quiet lockright. not any stronger and $only 100 less than a detroit. I can do the detroit in my garage so install $ isn't a problem but it is twice the money of the gearless or lockright and won't it be just as nasty on the road as the lockright?

Would it make sense to get a gearless or lockright until I beef up the M20 with thick tubes and give it wide trac dimensions? Then install an Ox? and sell the old 20 with axles and lunchbox? Or am I just way off hear?

Something I could use is a report on the gearless. I know the 35c grenades and there is a recall but does anyone else use it? and is it as strong as the lockright?

Thanks
Matt

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.