Pirate 4x4 banner

WAGONEER 4 link questions

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  bgreen 
#1 ·
I plan on taking a Wagoneer, running 1 tons and 42s. i am going to cut the roof off, bob it and make it as light as possible. My quesiton is i want to do a 4 link with coils front and rear, and my plan was to use TJ coils, are these coils too soft to support the Jeep, and a 360 v-8? what about XJ coils? any info appreciated, flame away if this is stupid.

#2 ·
so basically you're thinking of running a truck that will weigh about 5000 lbs on springs designed for a 3000 lb jeep?

yeah, kinda dumb.

if you want to get coils, just use fullsize truck springs ala chevy or dodge. sounds like you're going to be doing loads of custom fabbing anyway.

why not just stick with stock leaf springs?

#3 ·
well, the wag may weigh 5000 now, but after there is no doors, no roof, gutted the inside, gutted walls so basicaly only thin sheetmetal from the outside of the body, it may weigh alot less. I do not want to stick with leafs, sorry. i know the TJ coils would be soft, but would they be TOO soft for the power? What about XJ coils?

#4 ·
JEEPerCREEPer said:
well, the wag may weigh 5000 now, but after there is no doors, no roof, gutted the inside, gutted walls so basicaly only thin sheetmetal from the outside of the body, it may weigh alot less. I do not want to stick with leafs, sorry. i know the TJ coils would be soft, but would they be TOO soft for the power? What about XJ coils?
Even with all that cut off, most of the drivetrain weight will be over the front end. I'd stick with a beefier coil.

Up front in my Durango (5640 lbs), I've been running Wild Horses 5.5" springs for Early Bronco. No significant settling in 2 years and 25K miles.

Nice ride too.. It's a progressive rate coil.

#6 ·
i'm no expert by any means on spring rate and suspension design, but i'd wager that with that big chunk of iron up front, your front coils would be mashed most of the time. when you trim, there's only so much you can take off the front end (fenders and such, maybe louver the hood, that's about it).

plus, 360s are pretty torquey. all 3 FSJs i've ever owned could rotate the body if i floored it. that could just be cuz of crappy shocks tho :D

XJ and TJ springs are probably about the same spring rate. they both weigh roughly 3000 lbs dry.

if you rip off the doors, roof, tailgate, and about a foot from the rear, i can see a wag weighing maybe 500-600 lbs less. i've never chopped any of mine, so don't know for sure.

check out www.ifsja.org , there are a lot of people over there who have chopped rigs and know more bout this sort of thing than me. :)

#9 ·
JEEPerCREEPer said:
What about some lifted TJ coils, would these be stiffer of stiff enough, or is something like Bronco springs better (even in stock form)?
Lifted TJ coils dont really have that much of a stronger spring rate. Theyre just longer. You might be able to get away with 8" Skycrapper coils....but probably not.

I'd go with something heavier..maybe aerostar coils.

#12 ·
what do you mean do about the frame? i plan on switching from my CJ frame to the wagoneer frame cuz i am understanding that the wag frame is stronger and i can get a really long wheelbase...?

#13 ·
Every waggy frame I have seen is channel and not boxed, if I was going to do all this I would build a frame and run rockwells. I mean geese you alreaday have 7.17 gears and 42" tires, you can get a couple of rockwells by selling your frontend if you look araound enough.

#14 ·
well i did not figure that that frame would be channeled...i will have to check closely at that...if it is channeled i will box and gusset the hell out of it...i dont really have a shop to do all of this in... so i cant really build a new frame and everything...everything i do is practicaly done in my parents driveway(they hate it). it is and 85 waggy and i am going to check on that frame...i would rather use what i had instead of buiding the frame...but we will see. i am doing as much research as possible befreo i do anything and i want to have all the parts needed before i start...i want to run into as many problems as possible before the project begins to minimize project complications during the process...thnx for your hlep.

#15 · (Edited)
Im running stock xj coils in the rear of my rig, I dont know what it wieghs, but its not light. The coils work just fine the way they are, but I wish they were a bit longer. Im looking for some 6" lifted xj coils. Im trying to find some 6 or 8" EB Coils for the front.

sorry for the non-jeep pic guys :D at least I am using jeep coils :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.