Pirate 4x4 banner

Crossmember and Skid for CJ5

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jaffer 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay the PO of my Jeep made a crossmember/skid plate that was crap. It works for street driving, in that it holds everything in place, but it sucks off-road. I have already messed it up twice creating headaches for the tranny mount. I have a T-150/Dana 20 combo, so I have to come up with something to protect everything underneath. I have heard that welding sections together to go around the tcase compromises strength, that I would be better off to find somewhere to press break a piece of steel to fit around it. I did a search but they are related to D 300, and atlas tcases. both of which can be made to mount fairly flush, eliminating the issues I am facing.

My thought is to use 3/8" steel and cut & weld, or have it bent then mount it to the frame using Grade 8's. For the Tranny mount, I thought about cutting a hole large enough for the bolt head and socket in the plate, then welding a separate piece on the top side that is drilled to the diameter of the bold. In theory this would help protect the bolt head, and create a more flat skid.

I could definitely use some ideas here, and pics would definitey help as well.

Jeremy

#2 ·
crap!! u might have seen my "post" on the board about my skid plate. i dont know what i did wrong, but oh well. (they are goin to eat me alive)

i have just the crossmember that hold everhting together, and then a skid plate that wraps around the crossmember and attaches to the frame.

i would just say to make a mount, then make a plate that forms around it

Attachments

#3 ·
Hit the "REPLY" button next time, PJay:flipoff2:

Saw this post early this morning and since I was fabbing a new skid for my CJ-7 I though I may as well make a web page of it ...
Don't have time for much text right now cuz I'm due in Cedar City for the UT Pro-Rocks comps on Thrusday but maybe it will give you some ideas ....

See ... Skid Plate Fab

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.