Pirate 4x4 banner

Full Size or Stock width

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  MASTER_of_DISASTER 
#1 ·
Anyone running full size axles or extended axle widths on their daily driver TJ, just wondering if this is practical? I have a HP Dana 44 front, and a big bearing 9" rear from a 76 F100 that are 65" flange-to-flange that I got for free. I really don't want to get them cut down becuase of $$$ factors and figure I can get away with the 4" difference from the stock TJ 61" flange-to-flange. Question is, can I run the 65" width and run a heavy backspaced wheel to simulate stock width again? If so, about what size backspacing would I need? I will be running some extended flares too.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I am going to be doing the same thing with my TJ. I have the 9" already torn down ready to be repainted, put back together and setup with gears and brackets. Then I will move on to the HP44. I know there are several people here that have gone fullwidth. I asked a couple about their opinions and 1TONTJ said tto go for it because I would love the extra stability. I figure once I get the lift on and the axles under the jeep it will just about be as wide as it is tall. I say go for fullwidth.

#5 ·
MASTER_of_DISASTER said:
what ever u do dont listen to anyone that tells you to do a search first its much easier just to start a new thread
Hope that was sarcasm - but seeing as you are noob it probably isn't.

Just one thing to say if you are serious.
bit further
you are an idiot :mad: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :mad:

#7 ·
I can't seem to find the pictures but there was a guy here in TN a while back who had a tj with the hp44 9in. combo you are talking about on his daily driven TJ and used standard back spacing wheels. He also had stock flares and they seemed to not stick out too far, just a couple inches per side, with the wider flares I don't think it stick out much if any. Unfortunatly he's moved back to his home country and parted out the jeep (exchange student). It was pretty cool for what it was.... 4 cyl. 5.13's and 36's.

Justin

#13 ·
Jason R said:
Just get some wheels with less backspacing and teh 65" wont even feel like full width.
uhhhh I think you mean more backspacing.

#15 · (Edited)
really though i always do a search first and then try to PM people that could help me out. Usually my question is answered in a previous thread or at least i found someone i could talk to that knows alot about the subject and then if i still have a specific question i post a thread. I have been looking for information on this topic and there are alot of previous threads and people who have done this or know about it.

Ashman have you heard of stockton wheel? Im not sure what kind of luck people have had with the but they seem like they do high quality work. http: www.stocktonwheel.com
There is also a local company here that most people go with in my area. They are very reasonable and have a fast turn around and a good product.

#16 ·
I did use the search, and came up with some helpful insight on my project. It is nice to post though and get opinions for my specific issue. I read that article on BC4x4, it is pretty sweet. I have already started my project, Im waiting for my RE TJ bracket kit, then im going to regear/lock and hopefully begin the transplant process.

Thanks.

#17 ·
MASTER_of_DISASTER said:

Ashman have you heard of stockton wheel? Im not sure what kind of luck people have had with the but they seem like they do high quality work. http: www.stocktonwheel.com
There is also a local company here that most people go with in my area. They are very reasonable and have a fast turn around and a good product.
there "Explorer" Steel Wheel is nice, I called but they closed 15 min ago, Ill call tomarrow see if they can do the 3.5in bs and 8 on 6.5in patter.

#18 ·
Jeepin_NC said:
I did use the search, and came up with some helpful insight on my project. It is nice to post though and get opinions for my specific issue. I read that article on BC4x4, it is pretty sweet. I have already started my project, Im waiting for my RE TJ bracket kit, then im going to regear/lock and hopefully begin the transplant process.

Thanks.
If you haven't already ordered the brackets for the rear I would suggest looking into the Teraflex kit. They are made for 3" tubes and are around $200. Email DC at donaldii@bellatlantic.net, he is located in Roanoke, VA. He seems to have the best prices I have found so far.

#19 ·
If you haven't already ordered the brackets for the rear I would suggest looking into the Teraflex kit. They are made for 3" tubes and are around $200. Email DC at donaldii@bellatlantic.net, he is located in Roanoke, VA. He seems to have the best prices I have found so far. [/B][/QUOTE]

Damn, 1 Teralow kit to late. 50 minutes away, and I learn about here. Oh well, I know now.
Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.