Pirate 4x4 banner

anyone who has done a dana300 into a TJ

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  cmk 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me if you have a np231 with SYE kit installed and replace the t-case with a dana 300 can you re-use the CV style drive shaft?

Obviously it would need to lengthened or shortened depending on the specific application, but is this ok? What are the limits the CV style shaft can be lengthened/shortened?

I am planning on doing the RE "whack and tap" style SYE kit and getting a new CV style drive shaft, but only if I can re-use the shaft when I junk the np231 in favour of a flipped dana300.

Sorry if this is a simple question but haven't really seen it come up much. The last thing I want is to buy a new CV drive shaft and then have to get another one a few months down the track.

thanks

#7 ·
Blue97TJ said:
Yup, sure can. I went from an SYE 231 to a D300. Just have to change out the yokes. My existing rear driveshaft w/ CV just needed to be lengthened.

Here's my writeup:

http://members.cox.net/rv6a/d300.html

Spicer part # 2-4-434
love that writeup and you are already a guest of honour in my favourites and also my printed crap about jeep as well.

I didn't notice where you mentioned you had to change out the yokes...must be blind. The dana300 has what sort of stock yoke on it? do you need to change both the front and the rear on the t-case and the pinion yokes stay the same? just asking as I have the u bolt style rear yoke and don't want to change nack to no steenking strap style again.

How long would you say the flip kit by itself would take to do on the dana300 out of the jeep? Then time to install it with a clocking ring after that?

What did you do with the transfer case skid? looks like you re-couldn't re-use the stocker, have you made a custom one yet? I would like to try and get the bottom nearly flat.

lots of questions....

thanks for the awesome writeup :)

#8 ·
aussietj said:
I didn't notice where you mentioned you had to change out the yokes...must be blind. The dana300 has what sort of stock yoke on it? do you need to change both the front and the rear on the t-case and the pinion yokes stay the same? just asking as I have the u bolt style rear yoke and don't want to change nack to no steenking strap style again.

How long would you say the flip kit by itself would take to do on the dana300 out of the jeep? Then time to install it with a clocking ring after that?

What did you do with the transfer case skid? looks like you re-couldn't re-use the stocker, have you made a custom one yet? I would like to try and get the bottom nearly flat.
On the yokes:
Rebuild page, left side, 8 pics down. Yes, on my TJ, I had to change both yokes on the tcase because the D300 uses u-bolt style u-joint yokes and I had CV style driveshafts. The differential yokes are not changed.

I just helped another Jeeper install a flip kit for his YJ. The flip kit itself took 6.5 hours. Surprisingly, a LOT of the time is taken up by cutting threads in the holes to plug the old shift rod locations. Tapping 3/4" holes is a BITCH! You have to do 4 of them. The actual install in my Jeep took all morning and a little of the afternoon. We were in no hurry. That included changing the vent fittings and a trip to the hardware store for some allthread to mod the shift links. Then there is the normal Atlas shifter adjustments and tranny tunnel mods.

I am using the stock tcase skid. It sits way below the tcase and tranny. I'll fab up a higher clearance one soon. You can't go completely flat, but you can get close.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.