Pirate 4x4 banner

Drilling out a broken drill bit

10K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Magoo 
#1 ·
Situation: Motor mount bracket broke, sheared off bolt in the block. Attempted to use an EZ-Out to remove, twisted the ez-out off inside the bolt. How do I drill out the broken off ez-out drill bit?

This was one of those ez-out's that's a reverse threaded drill bit with that cone shaped do-hicky that screws down the bit, and then you run it down into the bolt to grab it once you've drilled out a hole.

This stupid pos broken drill bit is hard as crap, and I haven't been able to drill it out, any suggestions?

See less See more
#3 ·
Sometimes I have been able to weld a thick rod to the bit, and twist the rod with a vice grip. Although the chances of it working are about 05%. Easy outs and drill bits are so damn hard! Steve's idea sounds good.

#8 ·
if you can find a nut that will fit so that jsut the inside is over the bolt you can weld it on (to just the bolt) and turn it out. I have done that a few times, takes some work but been done

#9 ·
DanH said:

Is this the kind of carbide tip you'd use?

I would use a bit that will grind on the tip, so try to find one that is cone or ball shaped. You may also look into carbide drill bits.
If that does not work, i have had very good luck with chipping out hard bits with a sharp pointed punch or chisel.
Tools like easy outs and carbide bits are so hard they are brittle, and when hit with a sharp punch, the can shatter and chip away.

#10 ·
Robert said:

i have had very good luck with chipping out hard bits with a sharp pointed punch or chisel.
Ive had some luck with this, it looks like you have some room around your EZout to drill some more holes then you can chip out the bit, With out adition drilled holes arougn the EZout it may not chip at all.

Then drill out to almost the bolt size and get a LARGE EZ out, Id also take a dap adn die set to the threads to make them nice an clean after all this mess.

That pics more scary then a Nearsighted gynecologist

#11 ·
Thanks for the help. The pic is a little old, I've since drilled around it some in attempts to get the ez out out. I'll attack the area around the bit with a cone shaped carbide tip and see what that does for me.

I'll have to almost certainly rethread this hole when I'm done messing with it.

#13 ·
Dan, try heating up the area with a torch and wicking in some wax from a candle before you try the larger easy out. Sometimes it make the diff. Also, you can use that rotary file you bought to just grind away the very top of the stud. They have a tendency to flare near the break and wedge em in there pretty good. You may grind away part of the very top thread in the block, but it can really help with the removal.

#14 ·
YOU'RE SCREWED. :flipoff2
maybe try welding your motor mount to the cast, if your lucky, motor:flipoff2: : good luck send us a pic of what ever you do , unless you put in a new motor

#17 ·
Here's what you do. Find a washer for the size of bolt you have all messed up. Center the washer over the bolt, weld the bolt to the washer, then take a nut and weld it to the bolt (through the hole) and put a couple of good tacks on two sides. Now unscrew your bolt :D

Cost my buddy $50 to learn that lesson, if only he would have asked me, oh well....
:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.