Pirate 4x4 banner

jeep drivetrain Technical page?

1K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  RedTJ1997 
#1 ·
ok I have been looking for a good place to find some serious jeep tech pages. can anyone help me find one for jeep axles, and transfers? thanks
Todd

#3 ·
I think you'd be hard pressed to not find what you're looking for in the PBB archives. Say it with me now, "the search tool is your friend."

Or you could do what all self respecting PBB'ers do; prove your worth and then ask away.

cm "got it in ya'?" k

#4 ·
ok heres my deal, I'm trying to find someone who has put a np231 transfer in a ZJ. I am told that it won't just bolt up, I will need a new input gear, fine. heres where things get tricky, I am also informed that the input bearings are all kinds of sizes. so what I need to know is, I have a 1997 TJ 231 that I want to put into a ZJ. what do I have to change in the input side of the transfer to complete the swap. if I had time and space I wouldn't bother asking so many damn questions. I'd just do what most self recpecting people who would try this swap do, and just get one with it. I can not do that at this time. anyway, I also may have a np242 that I can either rob parts from, or swap it in. I still have not found anyone telling me that the either the 242 is stronger, or the 231 is stronger. can anyone help?
Todd
P.S. I have not seen that many grand stuff posted here thats why I did not search, but to make everyone happy, I'll do one later this morning.

#5 ·
Two months ago, I took the np231 from my 98 TJ (4.0/ax15) and bolted it up to my friend's 93 ZJ (V8/auto) with absolutely no modifications being necessary. Every aspect was dead nuts on.

The case swap was an easy 10 minute job. Even the shifter linkage lined up perfectly. The only accessory lost was the mode switch.

That ZJ (f&r d44's, 33's, arb, spool) has since been wheeled HARD in Moab and CO with no ill effects on behalf of the 231.

cm "now wasn't that easy?" k

#6 ·
ok cool! now I am trying to transplant my 4.0L 97 TJ 231 into his 4.0L awd grand. as far as I know anyway. got a good way to figure out what tanny he has? I am not good at identifing jeep autos yet. thatsnk for the info, we may pull his t case to find out what he has tomarrow.
Todd

#7 ·
RedTJ1997 said:
ok cool! now I am trying to transplant my 4.0L 97 TJ 231 into his 4.0L awd grand. as far as I know anyway. got a good way to figure out what tanny he has? I am not good at identifing jeep autos yet. thatsnk for the info, we may pull his t case to find out what he has tomarrow.
Todd
Searchy searchy newbie. :flipoff2:

I've already helped you enough.

cmk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.