Pirate 4x4 banner

For those of you who have installed a Dodge NV4500 Behind a 350 SB

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  CJ Lagos 
#1 ·
I bought a brand new 29 spline rear output shaft, Dodge NV4500. I also got an input shaft to make it work with a SB chevy engine and bellhousing. The new input shaft in shorter so the splines only stick out of the tranny about 1 to 2 inches. Do I need to cut off the throwout bearing slide surface inorder to expose more splines?? I contaced my salesman hopefully he can resolve this but maybe someone out there had this same problem.

In the kit I also got Advanced Adapters 716067A Modified Bearing retainer for a 1996 GM NV4500 tranny. Mine is a Dodge and this thing will not fit anywhere.

#7 ·
ok, I guess I am lost.....are you sure? why did you buy it, or I guess, why did they sell it to you if it doesn't work in your application? What is it 'modified' for? (as in what is modified to be used on)

Off the top of my head (don't have my AA NV4500 book here...BTW this book would keep you from needlessly spending money) they do produce a bearing retainer that works with the Dodge tranny and a jeep engine (which engine are you using again?).

#9 ·
Mine is one of those Chevy/Dodge bastard assemblies with the 6.34 1st and the Dodge Output shaft. I had it built by National Drivetrain. While I was there I spent some time with the shop foreman. According to him (I haven't personally verified it). The '95 and newer GM main cases are exactly the same as the Dodge case. The input shaft assembly is longer on the Dodge case but can be unbolted as a unit and replaced with stock GM parts. The parts he showed me had a longer sleeve over the input shaft on the Dodge than on the Chevy. I don't know if they were the same diameter. Anyway, the guys at National Drivetrain could probably answer your questions.

On a side note. You could use the GM bellhousing with the Stock GM internal slave cylinder if you want to go hydraulic. I priced the bellhousing at the GM dealer and it lists at $220. The slave lists at $150.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.