Pirate 4x4 banner

HELP! our XJ is cooking

871 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sceep 
#1 ·
Didnt think that our XJ fit in the TOTW catagorie soooooo..

'88 XJ
stoopid closed loop cooling system.
good head gasket,
good head,
new 3-core radiator,
new thermostat, (also tried with no thermostat)
Electric fan kicking on about 180
block/heater core flushed
new hoses
new shroud
new fan clutch
no exhaust gases in cooling system
new water pump.

We are at a total loss here guys.. WTF is wrong with it?

It will idle for about 15 minutes then just boil.
It will drive for about 10 minutes then just boil.

at first it seemed as thought the #1 piston was just cooking. If you poured some water on the #1 @ the head it would cool off FAST.

so we pulled the head, took it in, had it check out. good to go.
put it back on... now it seems that #3 is just fawkin cooking. same scenario, havent re-pulled the head yet.

I dont know..... this is really getting agrivating.

:mad:

See less See more
#3 ·
Jason R said:
All these freakin problems with Cherokees....hmmm.... :eek:

Id just take it into a shop to get it diagnosed so youre not spending money on replacing everything in the whole damn cooling system. My 2 cents.
yeah.. thats our next option. We're just throwing $ at it cuz we only have about $700 into it including the 6.5 RE lift and 33's. figure.. fawk it.. give her some new parts. That and we havent had to take a damn car to a mechanic in 14 years.... we dont want to start now.:D

#4 ·
Is your expansion tank sealing properly? That's one of the primary causes of cooling problems on pre '91 XJs.

Have you considered converting to the open cooling system? Simple changeover and much easier to maintain/diagnose, IMO.

#5 ·
sothpaw said:
Is your expansion tank sealing properly? That's one of the primary causes of cooling problems on pre '91 XJs.

Have you considered converting to the open cooling system? Simple changeover and much easier to maintain/diagnose, IMO.
we havent changed out the tank yet.. It did have a crack in it.. shut it up with some epoxy but getting a new one tonight.

What all is involved in changing to the open system???

#7 ·
Are you sure you have a reverse rotation water pump in it,easy to get the wrong one,and this is what it sounds like to me.The reverse rotation will have an R stamped into the fan flange or an R cast into the body of the pump.Double check if you're not 100% sure and don't trust the people you bought it from to have gotten it right .

#8 ·
jeepmauler said:
Are you sure you have a reverse rotation water pump in it,easy to get the wrong one,and this is what it sounds like to me.The reverse rotation will have an R stamped into the fan flange or an R cast into the body of the pump.Double check if you're not 100% sure and don't trust the people you bought it from to have gotten it right .
10-4 buddy.. thanks for the heads up.. will check as soon as i get off *work*.
;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.