Pirate 4x4 banner

Full YJ Skid Plates

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  bigjeepinYJ 
#1 ·
I have a 92 YJ and I am looking to get a skid plate under the oil pan. I am running a 350 small block. Just wondering what some of you guys do for skid plates. After seeing a guy put a hole in his oil pan the size of his fist a couple weeks ago I have to have something:confused: . Pics we be great.

#3 ·
Here is a pic of mine.
I used 1/4" plate, and lots of angles and gussetts to make it very strong,...but it is very heavy,(probably around 100 lbs).
I recessed the mounting and tranny bolts so that they cant get fawked up. The cross member for the wrap bar is also incorporated into it, but can be removed seperately. To avoid having to remove it often, I cut access holes for draining the tranny and T case.
I have been running it for nearly two years, and it has taken a beating with no bending whatsoever. It also slides nicely over rocks from nearly any angle.
If I had to do it again, and I probably will this winter when the rig goes on a seriouse diet, I would do it with 3/16" hardened steel, and incorporate more gussetts and angles (ahhhh the miracle of Plasma cutters) .
However, If the new link suspension, that is slated to be installed this winter does not require any major changes to the skid plate and tranny mount, I will stay very close to this same well proven design( with the exception of different mounting points and lighter steel).

#4 ·
Man that was soo nice of you to climb that rock and take that pic of your skid just for that guy... :D

I havent made mine yet but i know what i am doing. I have the I6 and and going to take two peices of 4x4 angle (1/4") and but them faceing so it forms a |__| under the oil pan. Then just rum some supports up to the frame. I am sure you can do it with the 350 also.

#5 ·
H8monday said:
Here is a pic of mine.
I used 1/4" plate, and lots of angles and gussetts to make it very strong,...but it is very heavy,(probably around 100 lbs).
I recessed the mounting and tranny bolts so that they cant get fawked up. The cross member for the wrap bar is also incorporated into it, but can be removed seperately. To avoid having to remove it often, I cut access holes for draining the tranny and T case.
I have been running it for nearly two years, and it has taken a beating with no bending whatsoever. It also slides nicely over rocks from nearly any angle.
If I had to do it again, and I probably will this winter when the rig goes on a seriouse diet, I would do it with 3/16" hardened steel, and incorporate more gussetts and angles (ahhhh the miracle of Plasma cutters) .
However, If the new link suspension, that is slated to be installed this winter does not require any major changes to the skid plate and tranny mount, I will stay very close to this same well proven design( with the exception of different mounting points and lighter steel).
H8,
My skid that I made this summer look identical to the main part of your skid ie. where you tranny mounts and your transfer case. I like the look of the front part of that. Do you have any pics of it off. Thanks for the post........

And to the you could learn how to drive Post :flipoff2:

#6 ·
bigjeepinYJ said:

H8,
My skid that I made this summer look identical to the main part of your skid ie. where you tranny mounts and your transfer case. I like the look of the front part of that. Do you have any pics of it off. Thanks for the post........

I dont have any pics right now, of the skid plate "off of the rig" (probbaly due to requisite ambulance trip, from loss of blood to my brain, and the hernia, after musceling it off the rig).
I did a complete write up, post, with pics over a year ago, and it included (I think) the original cross member design, the skeleton (of what became the main gussetts), and even a bling, bling pic of the skid plate, just before install.
All of my digital pics are a casualty of my recent move and are lost right now in the black hole that is my storage unit.
I probably would have posted under something like "New Skid Plate",???? WTF,....Look it up Newbie:flipoff2: hahahah

#7 ·
dozernad said:
Man that was soo nice of you to climb that rock and take that pic of your skid just for that guy... :D

Yeah, I know,...Im just special that way,..but stop, your embarrasing me.
The climb was easy, I wanted to do it, and the rocks were already there.
The hard part was getting all of the spectators to come out and watch, and to get the lighting just right at this time of night.
I think "Saint" might be overly discriptive,..Im just a giver.
:flipoff2:

#8 ·
H8monday said:

I dont have any pics right now, of the skid plate "off of the rig" (probbaly due to requisite ambulance trip, from loss of blood to my brain, and the hernia, after musceling it off the rig).
I did a complete write up, post, with pics over a year ago, and it included (I think) the original cross member design, the skeleton (of what became the main gussetts), and even a bling, bling pic of the skid plate, just before install.
All of my digital pics are a casualty of my recent move and are lost right now in the black hole that is my storage unit.
I probably would have posted under something like "New Skid Plate",???? WTF,....Look it up Newbie:flipoff2: hahahah
Yeah, That is about what mine is like. My brother and I have to get the sucker under there. It is a bitch. I will look for that post. How do you do a search again!:flipoff2:

Anyone Else?

#10 ·
H8monday said:

Yeah, I know,...Im just special that way,..but stop, your embarrasing me.
The climb was easy, I wanted to do it, and the rocks were already there.
The hard part was getting all of the spectators to come out and watch, and to get the lighting just right at this time of night.
I think "Saint" might be overly discriptive,..Im just a giver.
:flipoff2:
Ah yes, a marvelous feat indeed, its a good thing you have such dedication, i mean heaven forbid he had to wait till the morning for you to go out and take that shot, then you would have had to buy all those nice people coffee too.

nice skid btw.

#11 ·
H8monday said:
I found some pics of the skid, freshly painted from when I modified it to work with the engine and drive train relocation, project last winter.
Put your sunglasses on,.. Its very shiny:eek:
I found a post somewhere that showed it unpainted and you made the comment about how you still didnt feel safe attaching the mount for the wrap bar to the skid plate. Well I thought that I would try it. Hell as heavy as it is I figured it ought to hold so I welded a piece of 3/8 on the bottom of it. Gusset the top with two angle pieces and it hasnt moved......yet. It doesnt budge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.