Pirate 4x4 banner

TJ Frame Strength

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ZUK 
#1 ·
Has anyone run an external cage on a TJ? I'm going to be building one soon, but am not sure whether the stock frame will be of sufficient strength. Should I go to a custom frame (3/16" or even 1/4") or no? If I stick with the stock frame, I'm going to try to add in two more crossmembers and gusset it where possible. Thanks.
Chris

#5 ·
Jason R said:
Are you worried b out bashin up your pretty TJ?
Yeah, that's it. I'm afraid I might bump a curb at the mall and flip.

Dan-H, thanks for the link, man. His front fender work does look good - I'm going for a little more clearance though.:)

Jakester - thanks, I'll see what I can do with the stock frame.

Chris

#8 ·
Paul, I'm going to be hacking into the hood on mine, too. Should give me another three to four inches of clearance but won't probably won't look as clean as yours. In the rear, I'm keeping it simple and going with Avalanche comp.-cut corners.
Very nice rig you got, by the way. How does that four-banger do turning those tires? Mine's a four-banger right now, and I'm debating whether or not to drop in something a little larger. If I do keep the four-banger, it'll have plenty of gearing to help it out (150+ crawl ratio). Still not sure, though. Any advice?
Chris

#9 ·
Hood hackin' should definitely give you a lot more room. Are you sure you need it though? Not saying you don't.....

The four banger does fine, will do a lot better when I finally get the SM420 installed, and gets me where I need to go. I'll be putting in a V8 though - I like the way they sound. :D

Paul

#11 ·
My buddy put an exo cage on his toyoat and it was UGGGLY. everyone would look at him and stare at the intersections, unless you plan never to drive it on the streets.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the help, guys.
Paul, good to hear the 4-banger is still doing okay:). Guess I'll keep mine for awhile. LOL.
Chris

#14 · (Edited)
GO 4LO--- TJ frame not strong enough? That's the first time I have heard anybody question the strength...somebody correct me but I believe the TJ frame is 2 x 3.5 x .187 rectangular steel while the YJs are 2 x 4 x.125....both seem strong and hold up much better than the CJs that have 2 C sections welded together and taper down dimensionally at the ends. I don't think I've ever actually physically definitively seen a Jeep with a full blown exo but sure would like to see one in action.....other than a "buggy".
You guys over in Cincinnati must have some mean trails if you're bracing that frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.