Pirate 4x4 banner

Sun Performance rock sliders for cj5???

10K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  cj8scrambld 
#1 ·
Has anybody tried to mount the sun performance rocker pannel guards for a cj7 on a cj5????Why don't they make them for the cj5????........I'm thinking about buying a set for a cj7 and try to fit them on my 74 cj5.........Will this work or will I just waste my time and money trying????

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Chrisjeep7 said:
make your own. 1/4" 4x4 angle. 40 bucks.

4 x 6 x 3/8" angle - overkill, but its all i had laying around in the yard. :D

Attachments

#8 ·
mike said:
You're gonna be in tomorrow eh?
Yep.

Why would this guy buy Sun performance ones for more $ than Avalanche ones that will fit? They are both 3/16" I sell both. Both are good, Avalanche ones are for "76 up but other than you may need to redrill the frame tie in they are a bolt in. I guess if you like the rolled edge thing, but you're going to be welding and grinding. If you are welding and grinding then you might as well do what the make your own guys are saying.

#9 ·
Steve N said:
Cool, I need ta come up and grab that tranny.. and pick up some bushings for toad. He said something about the bushings that hold the shift lever on for his tcase or something. damned things should just be pinned or bolted on anyway ;)

#10 ·
Steve N said:

Yep.

Why would this guy buy Sun performance ones for more $ than Avalanche ones that will fit? They are both 3/16" I sell both. Both are good, Avalanche ones are for "76 up but other than you may need to redrill the frame tie in they are a bolt in. I guess if you like the rolled edge thing, but you're going to be welding and grinding. If you are welding and grinding then you might as well do what the make your own guys are saying.
Where are the avalanche one's that you are talking about?????and buy the way ......I get these things for cost .........thats why

#12 ·
Steve N said:
Both are good, Avalanche ones are for "76 up but other than you may need to redrill the frame tie in they are a bolt in.
No, the frame is completely different on '76 and up vs pre-76. The pre-76 frame has a straight frame rail from front to rear. The '76-86 starts getting wider at the firewall. Any rocker guard that ties into a frame rail for '76-86 won't make it all the way to the frame rail on pre-76. That's easily overcome with some steel and some welding, but it's more than redrilling.

#15 ·
Those things don't look any different than a piece of angle iron:flipoff2: .............and they still don't make them for my rig........ avalanche rock sliders don't even cover the bottom of the fender:confused: ...........I think I will spend the extra $30 and go with the sun performance sliders

Attachments

#17 ·
cmegoup said:

What you can't see is that they go all the way to the body mounts and are attached there as well as on the side. Are you looking for something that "looks good" or is functional?:rolleyes:

I want both .......functional and good looks.........and yes I can see that they go all the way to the frame:D ........Don't see that is any better design than the sun preformance ones......Sure it might be a little stronger... but as hard as I wheel 3/16 plate that mounts to the body only is strong enough for me:D

#18 ·
So basically you want to pay extra to have to modify fancy angle iron ;) Hell, it'd be cheaper to have someone put a radius bend in some 3/16th plate. Either way its your junk.

#19 ·
mike said:
So basically you want to pay extra to have to modify fancy angle iron ;) Hell, it'd be cheaper to have someone put a radius bend in some 3/16th plate. Either way its your junk.

If I knew of somebody that put round bends in 3/16 plate........that what I would do

Attachments

#20 ·
TOY 2 said:
Those things don't look any different than a piece of angle iron:flipoff2: .............and they still don't make them for my rig........ avalanche rock sliders don't even cover the bottom of the fender:confused: ...........I think I will spend the extra $30 and go with the sun performance sliders
Why would anyone pay more for a manufacturer to put their name on a product like Avalanche has in the picture of the CJ-5?

I takes worker's time to put the Avalanche name on the rocker guard thus they have to cost more $$$. Also, with the cutouts aren't they more likely to get hung up when rubbing the side against a rock?

Also, Avalanche's don't protect the areaunder the front fender. Do they?

I'm with the

#21 ·
TOY 2 said:

If I knew of somebody that put round bends in 3/16 plate........that what I would do
Take a piece of 3/16" angle and a piece of round tube. Cut the round tube so you have a 3/4 circle and weld it to the angle. Bolt it up to your 5 and away you go.

#22 ·
I called my local metal shop and asked for 2 sheets of bent 3/16" steel, 5"x 12"x 60" long.
they look cleaner than angle iron and they catch all three body mounts on each side. I don't believe the Sun ones do that.
they cost $160, all said and done. t he Sun rockers with the bulge are cute, but they really offer little added strength over normal bent plate.

btw, Please note the now "Retro" Warn Black Diamond sticker:D

#23 ·
Make then yourself! I agree with Sundowner and JeepinIan, you could add the 3/4 round to the bottom edge and that would be a great place for the Hi'Lift to grab without slipping off! You could make them better looking and add features YOU want and save some :beer: money also! Just some thoughts for you. John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.