FSJ Engine start nightmare - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2002, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13715
Angry FSJ Engine start nightmare

I'm beating my head against a wall trying to get my 82 Cherokee to start. I have searched thru past topics, and have tried pretty much every suggestion out there. I just finished an I-6 engine change, and it was running fine until I tried to start it in Neutral. At first it didn't do anything, but I ran a straight ground to the starter solenoid NSS stud, and now it just clicks. It won't even turn the starter with the jumper wire between the solenoid and the + batt terminal. I have replaced the Neutral S.S., igntion switch, starter solenoid, and adjusted the transmission shift linkage. I have run the wiring diagrams from Chilton and Haynes and can't seem to find a problem. Is there a fused link in the harness that I don't know about? The ground wire for the block is run to the motor mount. It started great for a week and then nothing. I don't want to troubleshoot the whole engine compartment harness, but it seems to next step. Any help would be great. Thanks for saving my sanity. Additional info: 258 six, 727 TF.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 695
make sure the battery is good, I know you think it is, but try another just to eliminate that variable.

also try to turn it by hand, are you sure it isnt locked on a bolt front eh converter flexplate or someother sillyness.

Id try those things first, then Id dissable the ignition and try ( in case its way advanceed) although with a fresh battery and good starter it would turn a 6cyl regardless of the timing.

hope to help
Old 09-15-2002, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3636
i had a similar problem on my 360. would start fine sometimes/click other times. turned out to be a bad starter. new starter turns over way faster now.
good luck.
zstrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2790
make sure your grounds are good..sounds like you may have put the ground wire on a painted surface..
hy_desert_4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote