Pirate 4x4 banner

FSJ Engine start nightmare

748 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  hy_desert_4wheeler 
#1 ·
I'm beating my head against a wall trying to get my 82 Cherokee to start. I have searched thru past topics, and have tried pretty much every suggestion out there. I just finished an I-6 engine change, and it was running fine until I tried to start it in Neutral. At first it didn't do anything, but I ran a straight ground to the starter solenoid NSS stud, and now it just clicks. It won't even turn the starter with the jumper wire between the solenoid and the + batt terminal. I have replaced the Neutral S.S., igntion switch, starter solenoid, and adjusted the transmission shift linkage. I have run the wiring diagrams from Chilton and Haynes and can't seem to find a problem. Is there a fused link in the harness that I don't know about? The ground wire for the block is run to the motor mount. It started great for a week and then nothing. I don't want to troubleshoot the whole engine compartment harness, but it seems to next step. Any help would be great. Thanks for saving my sanity. Additional info: 258 six, 727 TF. :mad:

#2 ·
make sure the battery is good, I know you think it is, but try another just to eliminate that variable.

also try to turn it by hand, are you sure it isnt locked on a bolt front eh converter flexplate or someother sillyness.

Id try those things first, then Id dissable the ignition and try ( in case its way advanceed) although with a fresh battery and good starter it would turn a 6cyl regardless of the timing.

hope to help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.