Pirate 4x4 banner

Building the Jeep

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Cheepin 
#1 ·
Finally started building the Jeep.I pulled the motor/trans/transfer out of the blazer and am now sticking these in the Jeep.Built my own motor mounts,should work fine.Will do final placement of motor tomorrow and start building trans mount.Which radiator do you guys use?My buddy has an AA one and it won't keep his 350 cool.I found some aluminum ones in Jegs.Think they could work and are cheaper.Anyone use these.They are the Griffin ones.Thanks Blazin no more:D

#2 ·
I'm running a down flow out of a 67-68 chevy van with a 350 just had it recored last fall was factory 2 core now has what was supposed to be more efficient 3 row with smaller flues and more fins. Done better before keep 190 temps with 195 stat now wants to run 205 and higher. I have a buddy with a flatty/smallblock combo had run a griffith in it had fan hit rad chewed it up, now has a davis? or other brand alum rad real beefy looking. Had done well with both using some temp reducing liquid and antifreeze/water mix. Have a 7 going together for a friend it is using a Mepco conversion rad.

#4 ·
CJ Lagos said:
I use a 31"(I think) Griffin aluminum radiator. It is definately sweet but is kinda a pain to mount since they dont give you any mounting provisions.

CJ
Damn, you fit a 31 in yours? I had to shoehorn my 27.5 in mine withs lots of cutting.

Either way the alum is the way to go.

#5 ·
Was thinking of getting the 27.5" one and cutting the grill a little.I was thinking of getting some aluminum plate and making the mounting like the stock Jeep.I know a guy who can weld this.Thanks Blazin no more:D

#6 ·
I use a Be-Cool in my 79 CJ w/383 LT-4 w/ mechanical fan. They are absoultely great rads that are welded not epoxyed, but they are $$$ - but then you get what you pay for. Some people report problems with epoxyed and some people have no problem with them. I have never heard of any problems with Be-Cools. Lotts of folks around Phoenix run Ron Davis aluminum radiators and they seem to be good also.

#7 ·
The Be Cool rads are nice but mucho $$$.Anyway rather than keep posting new posts I am going to ask some more questions on this one.So here is the latest.What are you guys running for clutch linkage?I am thinking of going hydraulic.What kind is the easiest to use?Was looking at the stock Jeep '80-'86 CJ stuff.Will this work for the sm 465?Thanks Blazin no more:D

#8 ·
I run haydraulic with SM-420. It works fine.

#9 ·
Stuck the rear axle in tonight.(12 bolt chevy)Kept it in the stock location for now.Problem is drivshaft length is really short.Need to move the axle back.But what to do with the tank,I need to have a rear seat for the kids.I have a 2" body lift so I was thinking of raising it up.Maybe even into the tub then boxing over it and raiseing the seat.Any suggestions?Thanks Blazin no more:D

#10 ·
blazin said:
So here is the latest.What are you guys running for clutch linkage?I am thinking of going hydraulic.What kind is the easiest to use?Was looking at the stock Jeep '80-'86 CJ stuff.Will this work for the sm 465?Thanks Blazin no more:D
If you are not already done with it, you might talk to Alex about his transmission/clutch. Now that he has the auto, he might be selling his. As far as moving the axle back, let me know what you do. I really want to do the same on my TJ, but I will need my back seat sooner or later too. I have thought a lot about doing the same thing you are talking about, with cutting the tub.

#11 ·
Hey Pete,How you been?What tranny did Alex have?Is he ready for SuperCrawl?
I think I am going to go with the 80-86 Jeep hydraulic set up.Not sure on the rear yet.Thinking coils or maybe 1/4 elliptical.Blazin no more:D

#12 ·
I'm interested to know what has been done to conver the 465 to hydro using non GM parts..i.e. the CJ slave.....

#13 ·
blazin said:
Hey Pete,How you been?What tranny did Alex have?Is he ready for SuperCrawl?
I think I am going to go with the 80-86 Jeep hydraulic set up.Not sure on the rear yet.Thinking coils or maybe 1/4 elliptical.Blazin no more:D
Been doin good. Finally got into my house, so now I can concentrate on the heep! How have you been doin?
I am not positive what tranny he has, but I think it is a 420. He is out trying to kill Bambie this week. I'll ask him when he gets back Sunday night if you want. He's almost ready for the Supercrawl. We still have a few things to do, but it shouldn't take long, as soon as bow season is over!
As far as the rear goes, sounds like fun. Either the 1/4 or coils would be great. I like my 4-link coil setup, but I have not wheeled it enough this year to figure out what to change. Is the jeep going to be ready for Moab this Thanksgiving?

#14 ·
I am not sure when it will be ready.Just found out today the wife has a tumor on her brain.Going in on the 3rd for surgery.Don't think it is cancer.So she should be fine.Been rough for her and the kids.:( We will get through this though.

Jonathan,I am going to get the slave and master cylinders ofr 80-86 CJ's.Just need to make a bracket that comes off the bellhousing bolts.The slave is a push style,this replaces the linkage.Blazin:D

#17 ·
Well I slapped the front in today in between rain showers.Man I need a garage!!!I did a shackle reversal.I welded a 2x5 tube bumper to the frame.For the front spring mount I cut the bushing side off of a pair of rear mid 80s bronco shackles.Welded them to the front of the bumper.The axle ended up 1" forward even with the 3" longer chevy springs.

Now what is a good angle for the shackle?I was thinking around 45 degrees.Thanks BLazin no more:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.