Pirate 4x4 banner

Removing old engine mounts for V-8 swap.

611 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jeepnmatt 
#1 · (Edited)
Think I could get by with a heavy duty air powered cutting wheel?? I really cannot justify the cost for buying a cutting torch?? However I could rent one for 28 dollars with 3 hrs of use.

#3 ·
Gas axe, cut-off wheel, sawzall, angle grinder, plazma cutter, hack saw, butter knife, any will work, just don't cut into the frame, if you're unsure, you can always cut more, it's hard to cut less after.

#4 ·
4Bangler said:
Gas axe, cut-off wheel, sawzall, angle grinder, plazma cutter, hack saw, butter knife, any will work, just don't cut into the frame, if you're unsure, you can always cut more, it's hard to cut less after.
Butter knife?? I do not want to spend an entire week on just one mount. :D I got an angle grinder too.

#5 ·
When I stripped down my YJ chassis I found it easier to grind the welds with a angle grinder then get them stared with a cold chisel and a BFH. Once you get the weld seperated from teh chassis and the mount the hammer and chisel do a nice clean job of removing the old brackets along with the welds.
I also used a torch to remove some brackets but was left with hours of grinding to clean up where the mounts had been cut off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.