Pirate 4x4 banner

Tranny Swap????

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Solman 
#1 ·
The AX-15 in the better half's 89 Wrangler is fershnittzled (Junk)!!! What auto would be the easiest to get set in place! I am not worried about shortening or lenghtening driveshafts, or relocating the crossmember, just being able to bolt up between the 258 and 231 without too many snags. Any advice would be more than welcomed. I searched and found a little about sticking in a TF727, any comments??? Didn't really understand what it came out of, I would assume a mid 80's wagonneer!

Thanks in advance!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

#2 ·
do the TF 727. they come cheap, are cheap to rebuild, and there's about a million aftermarket parts for them. I bought a B&M shifter for mine and Im installing the lokar kickdown right now. I need to modify the engine side of the lokar kit so it fits on my 98 4.0l but it should be easy. heres waht it cost me so far...

727 + torque converter= $350
drill hole for cps= $100 including a bracket for the sensor and the sensor itself
B&M shifter=$130 (on sale)
lokar kickdown= $60 with shipping
torque converter bolts= $??? like 15 bucks.

devising some way to hook lokar kickdown to engine= $priceless (joking, probably $5)

if it needs a rebuild I had an offer to rebuild it for under $200

so for everything, without a rebuild like 650. dont forget a trans cooler either +$40. mine didnt come with a dipstick so +$20

wow, im gonna spend 750 on this damn thing. Im sure you can find a good deal on the tranny. it bolts up to the 231 with the 23 spline version. if its the 21 spline 231 you need to get a new input.(as much as $200 from AA. i got one for $60) you'll also need a flexplate instead of a flywheel(from a 258). i already had one.
now do you see how things can add up even on a junkyard 727? if you had to do everything its gonna cost you a grand.

#3 ·
I called advance adapters and found that this was a straight forward swap! But, it appears that the NP 231 will bolt up to the tranny, but doesn't mate in far enough to reach the seal in the back of the tranny! Any ideas?

:beer: :beer: :beer:

#4 ·
Hate to bring up an old horse- but I am now going through the same thing. My '93 Yj has eaten it's last $1200 (3 in the last 4 years!) and I want to do this- first because it seems SO much stronger and second because it's SO much cheaper!!! I am a bit fuzzy on the tech of this swap- the crank position sensor and the Lokar downshift cable parts. From what I am gathering- the 727 will direct bolt in place of the 32RH (999) behind my 4.0 HO and also to my 231 TC ( not sure abou the last post with the shaft not meeting the seal? Not sure what they mean- clearification would be very nice! Also ANY and ALL detailed info about this swap is SOOOOO needed by a poor broke ( and broken Jeep) wheeler! Thanx in advance guys!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.