Pirate 4x4 banner

GrandWagyy transfercase swapout?

709 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  WillyPete 
#1 ·
Currently in my 1985 Grand waggy that I got for free in a NP229 Tcase with a patched hole in the bottom of it :D

It is 23 splined and I guess has the same bolt pattern as a dana 300.

Other then a NP231 and a flipped dana 300 what Tcase can and should I swap in that will bolt up.

Atlas is out of the question for this turn.

#3 ·
I was thinking about the axle and dana 300 swap but then I'd have to find an axle and a dana 300.

I figure it would be easier to find a tcase and put it in.
Hopefully I can get rid of the silly vacum operated viscous coupled Tcase crap:rolleyes:

#5 ·
I have one of the worlds best Pick N pull establishments within 45 minutes of my house.

:D

Our Pizza sucks but you can get some of the best ethnicly diverse Third world country gourmet yuppy hippy food.:rolleyes:

Of course most states would ban this sort of crap :D

#7 ·
HMMMM well I guess our pizza is better then what those southerners call Pizza ( Pizza Hut )

Ya I know we have some good pizza places but for the most part it is crap.

HMMM I'll have to think bout the trade?

Need to get the turn running before I make any desicions as to what I'm gonna do the the thing.

#10 ·
Ok I figured out what I'm gonna do.

When the current transfercase takes a crap I'm gonna swap in an NP208 since this was the part time tcase that was offered inplace of the Np229 :D

Sounds simple enough.

#11 ·
I'd swap in a 231 or 241, either should bolt up, track down a '78ish F-250 HP Dana 44 (eight lug of course) boltt that puppy up SOA on stock springs (it's that easy), or 44044's if you're going big, move the perches out on a GM 14 bolt rear, add front fenders from a J-10 and graft the rear flares from a J-10, lock, gear, and tire to suit, add big pimpin' stereo and you've got a killer tow rig and capable trail rig that's not quite full-size, but big enough for lots of stuff. It isn't a woody by chance? Is it? Woodies rule!

#14 ·
4bangler, gm 14bolt is with 1/2" of perch location on an FSJ. they're pretty much bolt ons ;)

rocktoad, np208 is also bout 7" shorter than a 229. it will bolt up tho. it's a heavy duty Tcase. it's been run on everything from 3/4 ton Jtrucks to 5/4 CUCV K30s.

if you really want to get hardcore with that np208, get a chevy 208, an AMC 208, an AMCth400, and a GMth400. swap the tailshaft off the chevy th400 onto the amc version, swap the AMC 208 tailshaft onto the gm208, and you have a 32 spline input, fixed yoke output xcase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.