Pirate 4x4 banner

anti-wrap bar material question

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  zstrange 
#1 ·
what has everyone used as far as material goes to make their anit wrap bar for a spring over. I have the ends and the way to connect everything I just want to know what type of tubing to use. I have seen a bent one from sams
off road that used 3/16"(?) wall thickness on 1" DOM tubing that is obvousely
way to small. I wasactually thinking of using 1.5" solid 1018 steel. might be
over kill but it wouldn't bend and is cheaper than DOM tubing.

any other suggestion on what I should use? also how much tubing you think
I would need. I am in a trainging class so I can't go and measure. 10' to
much?

revelent info: YJ, dana 44, dana 300, spring over, stock YJ srings

#3 ·
I think the 3/16" wall is to thin b/c that is where I got the ends from,a friend bent it with a 4cyl! I have lower gearing and a 6 cyl so I figured it would be like makeing one with drinking straws. but I could be wrong. he also bent it with torque not by hitting it on a rock.

#4 ·
Thinner wall tube can be used and hold up just fine--but it has to be properly supported. If you use a flat plate gusset in between the main tubes, they won't bend. The only damage that is likely to happen is possibly denting the tube, which wouldn't hurt the performance of the traction bar.

FWIW, most of mine are made from either 1.25" .120, or 1.5" .120. I haven't had any failures.

#7 ·
I've got one that is designed out of 1"x.688 ID tube. At least, I'm pretty sure thats what the dimensions where. The ID I know for sure it just happened to be the same d. needed for a 3/4" tap.

I have a 6 cyl, stock tranny, tcase, 4.56 gears. and a have been unable to bend it. That includes trying to drag out a car getting hung up on the pavement causing a 3 wheel burnout, (enough torque to rear wheels to cause front tire to lift off ground). I've kept it at 5,000rpms climbing sand dunes in 2WD like sand rails with paddle tires. Not a hint of wheel hop, nothing getting bent either.

Sounds like your friends ladder bar had a defect or he hit something else hard. (or maybe the Sam's bar has less gussets than mine does. haven't seen a pic of theirs)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.