Pirate 4x4 banner

cherokee springs revisited.

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  CheapXJ 
#1 ·
yeah yeah yeah.. i searched. i read, i want to know more.

3" offset, and a low spring rate. But is anyone running them on a cj-7? Is it worth the time to relocate the spring hangers to accomodate the extra length of the spring or should i just STFU and buy the waggys? I f i add a few more leaves to the pack will the handle the weight of a 318? I only ask because i already have 2 of the cherokee springs.

Thanks,
Nate

#2 ·
I used the Rancho 2.5 " lift cherokee springs(late model rear). I put a heavy chevy leaf in. On the front. They worked great. I like them better than the 44044's that I have now. I have tweaked 5 of the 44044's in 18 months. The others lasted about 4 years.

#7 ·
1337j33px0r said:
XJ springs suck. they have enough trouble holding up an XJ, let alone something heavier that gets abused more.
:confused: and a xj is lighter than the ass end of my rig how?????

Attachments

#8 ·
From what I understand the XJ Cherokee rear leafs have spring eye support issues similar to stock YJ springs, nothing that a new main leaf and cutting the stock main off right at the eyes wouldn't fix. XJ springs seem to sit an quite a negative arch, at least the ones I've looked at.

#9 · (Edited)
sceep said:

:confused: and a xj is lighter than the ass end of my rig how?????
because it doesn't have all that tubing and a tire hangin on the ass end.

you removed lightweight sheetmetal and replaced it with heavy tube. i think the answer is obvious there.

the ass end of an XJ is sheetmetal a gas tank and fiberglas. that tire you have on there probably weighs more than the glass and hatch of my XJ combined (it weighs a little less than a 33X12.50" dunlop mud rover mounted on a 15x10 alloy wheel, that i know for sure)

350lbs of additional weight (centered over the rear bumper, like a fat guy sittin on the bumper) in the back of an XJ will lower it 2"

XJ springs suck balls. At most of the boneyards i've been to, i've broken springs in half while removing the rear axles.

If that was my rig, i would not put XJ springs on it, i would definitely go with 7-leaf waggies or dakota springs, you'd probably get more flex from the waggie leafs (7 thin leaves as opposed to 3 thick ones + an overload leaf on the dakota)

edit: unless they're upcountry leaves, they do sit with a slight negative arch. way too soft of a spring though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.