Pirate 4x4 banner

Duramax Diesel in TJ?

5K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  FF3PM 
#1 ·
Ive done a LT-1 in a YJ, a 360 in a CJ, but its time to move onto the next project. Heres my idea.....
Jeep TJ with..
Duramax 6.6L Diesel V-8
Allison 1000-Series Tranny
Dana 60 Front and Rear
Somewhere around 8" lift

Has anyone done a Duramax swap into a TJ (or anything else for that matter)? if so, can anyone give me any ideas or feedback on this? Thanks.

-Tim

#8 ·
I was a trainer for GM on the DuraMax intro. It is a great engine made by Isuzu with Bosch Injection and Delphi Controls. This is just stage I of the factory version...stronger ones to come:D That combo is long and that tranny is large. The size of that tranny kept it out of the other rigs(Sub) because of the tranny hull requirements. Quite a few black boxes with that package also.
Would be a sweet deal though....runs like a gas with the power od an oil burner.

#13 ·
I know a guy that swapped an earlier Chevy V-8 diesel into a CJ. Had cooling problems and he hated all the added weight. He took it out and put in a SBC.

#14 ·
They are expensive, but no one should be looking to replace one for awhile. They have been durability tested to 200k miles. Your best bet would be to get a salvage vehicle. There is a lot of harnesses and PCM's that go with the deal. The engine is completely run by electronics, ie; fuel injectors that take 96v dc to fire, etc. As far as the size and power issue, the dmax is a more compact package and has lots of potential for horsepwer.

"Fastest Diesel Ever: Evan Evans, Duramax Diesel racer and spokesperson for GM Mobility Program, topped the Peak in his hand-controlled, production Duramax Diesel 6600 V8 GMC Sierra, at 13:34.63. Evans' time was a new record for diesels, beating all previous diesel cars and trucks at the Peak. This was this production-Diesel's first-ever race. Evans' time was the fastest truck in his class, finishing fourth overall in High Performance Showroom Stock."

#17 ·
TJ Fan said:
They are expensive, but no one should be looking to replace one for awhile. They have been durability tested to 200k miles. Your best bet would be to get a salvage vehicle. There is a lot of harnesses and PCM's that go with the deal. The engine is completely run by electronics, ie; fuel injectors that take 96v dc to fire, etc. As far as the size and power issue, the dmax is a more compact package and has lots of potential for horsepwer.

"Fastest Diesel Ever: Evan Evans, Duramax Diesel racer and spokesperson for GM Mobility Program, topped the Peak in his hand-controlled, production Duramax Diesel 6600 V8 GMC Sierra, at 13:34.63. Evans' time was a new record for diesels, beating all previous diesel cars and trucks at the Peak. This was this production-Diesel's first-ever race. Evans' time was the fastest truck in his class, finishing fourth overall in High Performance Showroom Stock."

"Should" is the key word here. I've heard of at least 1 that was blown up by operator error... someone poured diesel down the intake after running the tank dry, trying to get it started. I don't know if it just hydro'd the motor or what, but the lowest price he was quoted for a replacement was $17,500.
Heck, the injectors are 3x the price of a PSD injector at around $600 each.

Good luck!

#18 ·
Not sure how large the engine is but just fitting the small block into my TJ was kinda tight and put a decent tranny behind it (I'm running an sm 465 ) and you WILL have to do some floor pan mods big time. Hell the shifter tower for my tranny sticks up into the bottom of my dash;)
Dave (Woud like to see if if you do it though)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.