Pirate 4x4 banner

Rear axle price check :)

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  u-joint 
#1 · (Edited)
A friend has a rear axle from a 98 TJ.
It's a Dana 44 with 4.56 gears and a brand spanking new ARB.
About 10,000 miles on the gears and they are quiet.
The current owner is getting something from Currie or Dynatrac (SP?).
This is a complete rear end.
What's a fair price?
The current owner is looking to get around $1,400.00
I thought that was a little high but i really have no idea since i've only built Toyota's.
TIA!

#2 ·
Go for it, a friend of mine bought a rear 44 out of a 99 TJ and with stock 4.56's and a detroit for $1500. Tell the guy to throw in the compressor and switches too.

#4 ·
Well $1400 isn't a deal but it isn't a rip either so I say spend the !4 and be done or he can see if he can get one a little cheaper and then spend $150 on gears, $100 on an instal kit, $650 on an ARB, and probably pay someone $200 to set up the gears so that comes to $1100 so that leaves him $300 to find a complete TJ 44 with.

#5 · (Edited)
instead of ARB switches and the solenoid you can use an air switch. here's one. http://www.gulfcoastrovers.com/all/switch/

for a compressor you can use a caddy electric from a junk yard for about 10 bucks. I have one of these as a backup and it works fine just to run the ARBs and will fill up a tire or two if you are really patient.

here's a writup. http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/caddy_comp/

Overall 1400 isn't a bad price, just not a screaming deal.

Around here you can't find a TJ 44 for under 1000, and that's stock geared no locker.

#7 ·
Sounded fishy to me too. Kinda like those old timers that say their bone stock old Jeep rotting in the back field was "POSI front and rear" so I give him his $50 or $100 for it, load it up, haul it home, pop the covers and..........................yup, good old open diffs, gotta love 'em. Bought a parts truck '73 Chevy 3/4 ton from a guy that swore up and down it had 4.56's in it, so I went and drove it (!) home only to find 4.11's, when I asked him about it he said that it ran such high RPM that he thought 4.56, turns out the clutch was shot, dumbass.

#12 ·
Re: Re: Rear axle price check :)

u-joint said:

Walk up & offer him 10 Ben Franklin's (cash), & see what he says. If he passes on the deal you offer, maybe he'll meet you half way ($1,200). Just a thought.
Now "u-joint" has a seriously low post count for being registered for almost 1 year. Quite the lurker!

I'm not buying it as "rebelcj7" has indicated.
In fact it might already be sold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.