Pirate 4x4 banner

Fuel Leak...But what's leaking?

870 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Grind 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, obviously a fuel leak, but what's under there to leak?? Is it the actual tank leaking?

See less See more
#3 ·
If it's your lucky day, on of the fittings on top of the tank started leaking and is running down the strap, if it's not your lucky day, the strap wore a hole in the tank. Mine would only leak when it was running, but leak way bad, turned out to be a pinhole in the fuel line. When I turned the key on with the tank dropped, a tiny stream of gas shot all the way across the garage from just a barely visible nick on the hose.

#5 ·
4Bangler said:
If it's your lucky day, on of the fittings on top of the tank started leaking and is running down the strap, if it's not your lucky day, the strap wore a hole in the tank. Mine would only leak when it was running, but leak way bad, turned out to be a pinhole in the fuel line. When I turned the key on with the tank dropped, a tiny stream of gas shot all the way across the garage from just a barely visible nick on the hose.
Well, it only leaks when it's running, therefore when there's pressure, so maybe it is just a line in there somewhere. I'll have to drop it down and have a peak.

Thanks!

#6 ·
Yup, same thing mine did, only leak while it was running, so it might be your lucky day after all, have fun dropping the tank, it's a bitch, especially if your exhaust is in the way.

#8 ·
That's what I though when mine started leaking, I had just re-installe the tank after fabbing my new rear bumper, I thought my lines were just lose, so I dropped it, tightened, re-installed, still leaking while running, so I dropped it again (ARGH!) and turned the key on, I walked around and could smell gas like a mofo but couldn't see the stream until my leg started getting wet. Good thing I don't smoke! It turned out to be a pin-hole where I had clamped the line closed to remove the tank.

#10 ·
I am running a trailquest 26 gallon tank.

Not sure I would do it again.

#11 ·
I got this problem too, I pulled out my tank to fix a pinhole leak, I put everything back together and crank it up real tight, and when the motor is on, it spews out of the sending unit area, if I loosen the bolts and let the tank hang down a few inches, it doesn't leak. Some how, now that I put the tank back in where it was before for many friggin years, it starts leaking at the top now. How could I have mounted it higher than it was before to put pressure on something up there and cause it to leak?:shaking:
First my axle blows up now this.

This happen to any one else? I'm thinking may be the sending unit seal, but looked fine when I had everything out and cleaned it up.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, I was serching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.