Pirate 4x4 banner

CJ guys what front springs ya running?

4K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  coiledcj7 
#1 ·
Just wondering what front springs people are running on soa CJs and how they are working out for ya.

I just put 2.5" superlifts SOA in the front, and they went flaaaaat.
(They were cheap that why I tried em)
The 2.5" rears are fine.

I have the option of moving my hangers, so longer springs could work for me as well.

Just looking for first hand experiences...what y-all have tried that you didnt like, and why...I have read alot about the "trendy springs" of the month that people seem to like.

I'm looking at going with some lifted rears in the front just looking to narrow the field, and get some real world, "I've done it" type info all in one little thread.

Thanks.

MJ:D

#5 ·
I am running Wrangler springs. I chopped the ends of the main leaf from another set of Wrangler springs and added that to the spring pack directly under the main leaf. As I recall the Wrangler spings were 6 leaf (for the hardtops) + extra main leaft for 7 leaf. Haven't gone any flatter in the last 2 years and if they do they are really cheap to replace. Lots of YJ springs laying around people have taken off. They either give them to you or sell them really cheap, like mabe $10/spring or less.

Here is what the front spring intall looked like.

Here is how the Jeep set with 33" mud terrains and it stuffed then into the fenders with the rear trimed as high as possible. Very flexy. Its got 35 MTR's now. I 'm going to rock crawler hood and 37" Krawlers as soon as they come out or my buddy can get me a slightly used set.

#6 ·
thanks for the responses!

the YJ springs look just about like where my CJ front 2.5"ers sit.
Hmm maybe I'll try adding a leaf.

I have a few packs I could cut up.

Keep the info coming.

As I said I'm well aware of the more popular choices of late, just looking to see what else people have tried and how they lasted, and worked.

Thanks again.

MJ

#7 ·
I have installed 44044' s all the way around on my cj7. They are installed with some wrangler lift shackles that are 5.75" long.

They are to high for my likeing. My 38" SX's are even with the bottom of the body (no body lift). I have removed one leaf from each pack to get them sagging a little. This seems much better. I will also make the shackles a little shorter and move the mounts to improve the shackle angle.

My junk is still in the garage so I can't say how this is going to work yet.

#13 ·
My buddy runs stock 3 leaf chevy front springs.He clears 38" boggers.I just started building my CJ-5.I am putting chevy axles on with rancho 2.5" lifted chevy springs in front.These sat flat when they were on my Blazer.They flexed really well.The last set up on the blazer had 2" longer shackles and 10" travel shocks.These were too short.Blazin

#14 ·
MJ,

I ran wranglers with an extra leaf and they started to sag after a year of wheeling. so I went to Toyota leaves and they have been the champ.

#16 · (Edited)
Anyone ever run scout II stock fronts in the front of a heep?
I have a set here....look pretty decent as far as arch, and the leaves are fairly thick...I'd imagine they would be stiffer since the scoutII was a pig.

Just dont want to to go to all the trouble :rolleyes: and find out they arent any better, or they ride like a buckboard. (not really a problem, just not ideal)

MJ

#18 ·
Umm... lemme think about it for a minute...... No.
I took off the drop pitman arm and replaced it with a longer waggy unit for more turning radius. It would actually be best to run high steer but being that it works well just like it is, why change it. Its pieced together at an angle that i get NO bumpsteer and still allows me to have decent turning with the Scout axles with waggy knuckles and ford outters.

I'll be more than happy to change it for you if you'd like to contribute to the fund...

Mo

#19 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

Added ~1" of lift to the front end today.
Cut off the ends of Scout II front main leafs, and also used the next leaf down, so my front packs have six leaves each now.

The 2.5" leaf packs I had on originally went waaay flat...adding those leaves made a noticeable difference.

My shackle ange is much better, plenty of droop, and looks like they will flex well.
Best part is I used junk I had laying around the shop.
Heres the after pic (Ignore the rear it will be chopped maybe as early as today :flipoff2: )

Attachments

#21 ·
Maine Jeepah said:
Anyone ever run scout II stock fronts in the front of a heep?
I have a set here....look pretty decent as far as arch, and the leaves are fairly thick...I'd imagine they would be stiffer since the scoutII was a pig.

Just dont want to to go to all the trouble :rolleyes: and find out they arent any better, or they ride like a buckboard. (not really a problem, just not ideal)

MJ
You don't have enough weight in the front to use those suckas. Best to get JC Whitney HD 7 leafers. Cheap, military wrapped, and nice ride.

#23 ·
On my CJ-5 I am running CJ-7 rears in the front with a couple of add-a-leafs. Just because the CJ-7 springs were not in the best of shape. But, now they seem to be holding up fine. And it allows for enuff flex... The black CJ-5 is mine with the rear CJ-7's up front. And the one next to it is my brothers with the 2.5" Rancho springs in the front....

#25 ·
I run custom made wranglers, started with a 5 pack and added two leafs from a 4 pack.

The JCW CJ springs are rear cj on all four corners and there the same width as a wrangler spring.

I wheeled on my twice so far and the are flexy.. I have one thats really flat but I think if I fix my shackle I that will give me a bit more arch on it

If not I am going JCW springs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.