Pirate 4x4 banner

grand waggy psbox in tj? doable?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Dust Puppy 
#1 ·
hey everyone i was talking to matt (thelakerat) and he was telling me you can bolt a grand waggy steering box right into a tj. does anyone have an information on doing this. both steering boxes i have laying in my garage and on my jeep are shot and i happen to be picking up a pitman arm that has a box attached to it. he said they ahve a better ratio in them or something to that effect. he is going to do the ram assist for me and i figure if this is gonna work ill send the box over and get him to give it a once over.

thanks guys.

DP

#3 ·
downer i did a search and didnt really come up with anything specific. thanks though.

basicly here is what i know right now and what i need to find out..

tj and grand waggy

1. output shaft the same spline...... YES
2. input shaft the same spline...... ????
3. frame bolts the same place..... ?????
4. hydro fittings the same...... ??????

anyone have answers to these?

#4 ·
If you've got a box out of the Jeep, why not take it to an autozone and compare them. Pull a hose from the pump and bring it with you to check the threads. the bolt pattern and input splines should be obvious once you have them next to each other.

#5 ·
well i just had an interesting change in plans.... i was going to "buy " the pitman arm and box from the junkyard but i forgot john had another parts waggy and he said i can have hte box and pitman arm. ill have it tom. so i can just put the boxe i have side by side with it. ill post my findings this weekend or something.

DP

#6 ·
Dust Puppy said:
tj and grand waggy

2. input shaft the same spline...... ????
3. frame bolts the same place..... ?????
4. hydro fittings the same...... ??????

Well the bolt pattern will be the same except that the TJ only uses 3 bolts and the waggy uses 4 (no biggie, just use the 3 bolts that you have)

Hydro fittings can be put in alot of places. I have mine drilled through the front plate and the top plate, I have seen them other places also.

I think that the Waggy uses tapered flare and the TJ uses 0-ring on the lines. Not 100% sure about that though.

#7 ·
rock.,.. sorry i wasnt clear about the fittings i ment the lines to the pump... not ram assist.... ill let matt worry about the ram assist for me heheheh

#8 ·
As long as the waggy is newer than 80 and older than 96 then it should be a direct swap but it will have a better lower sector shaft seal. It may also be a faster ration. The only other box that would give you more power is a box from a Jeep J20 Pickup.

#9 ·
matt

i think the one im grabb'n is off an 83 if its not right i know where an 86 is sittin.

thanks man

#11 ·
Dust Puppy said:
basicly here is what i know right now and what i need to find out..

tj and grand waggy

2. input shaft the same spline...... YES
3. frame bolts the same place..... YES
4. hydro fittings the same...... YES

update

i did the swap today and its a 100% bolt on swap from a tj to an 80's grand waggy box. so for those of you who have problems with tj boxes here is a decent solution cause you can find them on the shelf at yards everywhere pretty cheap with the pitman arm. and according to matt (thelakerat) they ahve a better ratio thingamajigger

hope that helps some people because it helps me big time

DP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.