Pirate 4x4 banner

brake m/c booster probs need opinon ASAP

918 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Mel85CJ 
#1 ·
Long story short, we ordered the "navajo" brake booster system from off-again yesterday & had it overnighted (don't have time to explain why right now)

Anyway, we got it today, the system comprises of a dual diaprham booster, m/c, bracket & adjustable rod.

Rick took the m/c off & bench bled & we mounted the booster to the firewall & attached the rod. However, when the m/c is mounted to the booster, pressing in the pedal doesn't push any fluid. It appears that either a: the pin in the end of the booster is too small for the m/c or b: the m/c is too bid for the pin.

This is on an '85 CJ7.

Here is a picture of the "navajo" booster:

here is a picture of the stock CJ booster:

here is a picture of two m/c's the one on the left is a wagoneer m/c, the one on the right is the CJ m/c:

here are two pictures of the end of the "navajo" m/c

When the pin (or rod or whatever) presses into the "navajo" m/c it isn't pushing against the washer type thinggy.
(sorry for the vagueness)

any thoughts? Has anyone used this setup? Should I just go ahead & use the CJ m/c for now - I am supposed to leave for the badlands tommorrow at noon.... and YES, I tried to call off-again about 10 times.

-Mel

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you using a CJ bracket for the booster? Any spacer? How about the arm they provide? I installed mine with a 1" spacer (clutch MC clearance) and a longer rod, and everything went together fine.

So the Navajo MC has a hole in the middle, while the other two have indentations?

Bryan

#3 ·
Sounds like the MC rod isnt long enough.

Take the brake rod out, get a dowel ruffly the same diameter as the hole in the master cylinder. with every thing installed take the dowel and measure the distance from the point that you cant push the dowel anymore into the MC and to the pedal. That will be your basic measurement for the brake push rod.

I am betting you didnt have the push rod adjusted right.

#4 ·
Talked to off-again 1st thing this AM, they sent us the wrong m/c for the booster. Gave us a correct m/c part # & the local auto parts has one... they are apologetic & are going to make it right with us.... hopefully this will fix things.... (fingers crossed)

-Mel

#9 ·
The part # is at home, Im at work... I remember Rick saying it was for a 1 ton Chevy ____ . We went to the Badlands (Attica, IN) this weekend & wheeled with it.

The brakes hold great, I am very satisfied. They sold us a "perportioning valve eliminator" kit with it, which we decided that we want to just get an adjustable p-valve instead - after we do that the system will be really perfect. The only drawback right now is that because of the p-valve, there isn't quite enough to the back brakes, more to the front & on the road it is a bit touchy.

The previous stock CJ power booster system was causing the front disc pads to only grab part of the rotor. We replaced the pads with new pads & cleaned off the rotor & it was good.

Wheeled the CJ pretty hard this weekend & got in some tight spots that I know I would have been seriously sweating with before. Holds the a/t in 1st gear low just fine, before I would have had to drop it in neutral. The combo of the a/t, the 4.56 gears and the 4:1 D300 case just was too much for the old brakes to hold with 35" tires.

Overall, a nice, simple system & the folks at off-again were very apologetic & had good customer service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.