Pirate 4x4 banner

Changing AX15 clutch ?????s

2K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Jes 
#1 ·
Buddy of mine is coming up tomorrow to install a clutch. I have dropped my auto more times than I want to admit. WHere do we get the installation dowel to line up the clutch and pressure plate? Is this a dealer only item or Kragen? Is it specific to the splined output for the AX15?

Thanks

SeanP

#4 ·
If your local trannie shop is anything like the one here, they've got a whole drwer full of those dumb little plasic alignment tools, and they only use a bunch of old cut-off input shafts to do clutch aligning. They'll probably give you one, or loan you one out of a new clutch box.

#5 ·
Just looked in the box and no alignment tool. I'll have to call around for one before I have my junk loaded on a flatbed. :rolleyes:
BTW, I went with the OEM Mopar shit because it lasted 135,000 miles so it can't be all bad.
And this situation will require many beverages! :D

Jes

#6 ·
Jes, if you aren't having any luck by this afternoon, give me a ring and I will track one down here in Sacto. Yes, many beverages will be in order this evening. Do I hear a blender warming up??

SeanP

#8 ·
Are you replacing the internal slave cylinder?
They are prone to leakage, and you have to pull the tranny out to replace it.
For clutch parts in Sacramento, try Capitol Clutch And Brake in West Sacramento. Everything you could need.

#9 ·
Robert said:
Are you replacing the internal slave cylinder?
They are prone to leakage, and you have to pull the tranny out to replace it.
For clutch parts in Sacramento, try Capitol Clutch And Brake in West Sacramento. Everything you could need.
thanks for the advice, I believe that Jes bought a slave and a master to do all at the same time.

SeanP

#11 ·
Just spent $2000 plus on an Atlas, I don't need to spend another wad on a tranny and new d-shafts.
Plus, I need an overdrive as I'm already turning 3000RPM in fifth on the freeway! :flipoff2:

Jes

#14 ·
Internal slave you say?

As someone who went through three aftermarket internal slaves in a year I would suggest swapping a external slave bellhousing into it. I got almost all the parts from the junkyard. It's not hard at all and the swap allows you to pull the slave anytime you want without dropping the tranny- unless you like dropping trannys.

I've got a parts list and write up if you are interested. Email me if you want it. It is worth doing- the internal slave is the DEVIL!

#17 ·
Did you ever check the MC for the clutch. Don't pull that biatch unless you have to! The MC can get clogged with shit, or the bore may be leaking. I'd replace it first, they are fairly cheap.

And, don't be a pansy, just drive your junk. You don't need a functioning clutch to upshift and downshift.

Yes, Jason, they are fellow NAXJA boys.

Andy

#20 ·
Thanks guys! We replaced the master and it wasn't that. It took us about 1 hour to drop the tranny and all the associated BS, and yep, it was the slave. Funny thing was that it wasn't leaking that much, but we had no pedal at all on the clutch. Resurfacing flywheel and we'll be wheeling Sat AM.

SeanP (and Jes)

#21 ·
One hour dropping a tranny- that's movin!

I'm pretty sure your not supposed to resurface that flywheel. IIRC the FSM tolerance was .oo4 :eek: not much you can you can take off.

I had tons of problems with the first go round with my clutch job after the shop I took it to resurfaced it. Thats what I got for letting someone else work on my junk. Never again.

Internal slaves don't have to leak that much to cause problems. They end up sucking air into the system which doesn't do alot of good in a FLUID system.

Here is that parts list and write up for the guy that asked
:
Internal to External Slave Cylinder Swap

The info I have is for the swap on a 93 XJ AX-15. Not sure about other setups but here goes:

I got most of what I needed at a junkyard but I recommend buying new clutch components if you can to eliminate the need for going back in anytime soon.

You will need:

Bellhousing for a 95' AX-15- some 94's might have it but I used a 95.
Throwout bearing- 95
Fork- 95
Slave cyl- mine was stock 95
Hydro Hose for 95- got mine at junkyard
Dealer will want to sell you a "sealed system" M-cyl, S-cyl and hose combo for $200+-
Pivot ball and spring clip for fork (should be on bell)
Tranny input bearing retainer for 95- Has long nose for the throwout bearing to ride on
Clutch plate/Disk for 95- Had slightly longer fingers for the 95 throwout bearing

Swap is really straight forward:

Remove tranny- Had tranny jack so we left the tcase on
Remove internal slave junk
Remove old bell
Remove old tranny input retainer
Install 95 tranny input retainer (with RTV)
Put on 95 bell
Install pivot ball, fork, spring clip them on (I used an new clip)
Install clutch on flywheel
Put tranny back in: swap long 3/8-16 grade 8 studs for top bolts to make alignment easier
Swap in 95 slave hose and slave
Bleed hydraulic system and Wheel

It's a little abbreviated but that should cover it. If you have any questions let me know. I got a lot of this info from the helpful guys on PBB :D but I'll be glad to help.

Johann / John

#24 ·
Thanks Johann for the conversion parts list and thanks everyone else for the tips.
Unfortunately I had the flywheel resurfaced before I came back here, oh well. Ran BLT without any problems(unlike the other two I was with ;) ) and the clutch seems to work fine and is super smooth.
I think it's time I get a FSM.

:beer: everyone!

Jes

#25 ·
Jes said:
Ran BLT without any problems(unlike the other two I was with ;) )

:beer: everyone!

Jes
Jes, :flipoff2: and :flipoff2:

Great run on the trail. Too many mechanicals for me though. At least my Moab trip will be clean seeing as I got my mechanicals out of the way. You better get your spares in order and buy a welder!

SeanP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.