Pirate 4x4 banner

Turn Signals and Headlights Problem

730 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DE Jeeper 
#1 ·
Found out the hard way last night that my turn signals on my CJ don't work with the headlights on??? Work fine when HL's off. Some kind of short?? Any ideas?:confused:

#2 ·
Take apart the light assemble in the rear, clean them up good and make sure they ground well when you reattach them. Check the bulbs. Make sure the filaments are not burned out or they are in backwayds. It is possible with double filament bulbs to do that.

Quick questions.... Do the hazards work with the lights on? Also when you put the head lights on do the break lights work?

#4 ·
If I had to guess I would say that it is in the steering column harness and that is easy to check with a schematic and multimeter. If that is not the problem try a new flasher relay. I know the '78 wiring very well because I created one harness out of 2 in my last project and I am creating a new harness from the left overs for the flattie I am working on. Without being their to test it though I can't diagnos it. Get a Chilton's, it has a pretty good schematic and a tester and go to town. If you were near DE I would invite you over and test it for you. Sorry I can not be more help.

Oh yea, check all your fuses and conectors for good contact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.