Pirate 4x4 banner

Gawd Damn Inner Castle Nut on Dana 44 wont budge!

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Minehunter 
#1 ·
Fawking inner castle nut will not budge from the upper ball joint. I've been heating the shit out of, got my liquid wrench, breaker bar, etc etc. Its gotten so bad my TWENTY-TWO $$ castle nut socket is starting to round off on the tits, starting to just slip off everytime.

Im getting to the point where I want to cut off the upper threaded portion of the ball joint and then drill out the castle nut. Can I get replacements if I do? What the fawk should I do with this POS???????

#3 · (Edited)
Are you talking about the upper sleeve that presets the load on the balljoints? From the sounds of it you are. Everytime I try to get one of them, they're a bear. Try using a hammer and punch (punch not chisel ;0) Seat the head of the punch in one of the notches and pound away. It should break loose. Slow way to get it turning but usually works.

I only use the balljoint spanner for installation now as mine was starting to round off like yours is.

edit: re-read your post...Is the balljoint still in there? If so, big hammer in right hand, bigger hammer in left, hold big hammer bracing one side of ball joint, smack the shyt outta the other side and the balljoint will eventually drop out under it's own weight. Then do the punch thing.

#4 ·
Yeah, new upper ball joints usually come with that sleeve, it sure sounds like your trying to get it out with the knuckle and ball joint still on the axle, knock that puppy off and the sleeve should come out easy (well, compared to some things)

#5 ·
this was a case of the ball joint being smarter than the dumbass with the hammer!!!!!!! :flipoff2:

this is my first bj (obviously) I thought the fawking castle nut had to come off first, than the ball joint! no wonder it wouldnt budge! im pissed off i bought that $20 socket, the 19mm deep socket i destroyed to look like it would have worked just fine! :nuke: :nuke:

hats off for clueing me in!
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

#6 ·
Ahhh....the fond memories of being a nervous Dana 44 virgin...."Hey, how do I get these funky nuts out?"......."This spindle won't come off, I'll just knock the studs through the knuckle to make things easier"....."Do I really need that little bearing inside the spindle?".....and my favorite....."Why won't my axle shaft go back in.....wait a minute......@#$@! !@#^% !@#$^!!!....I put the !@#%$! ball joints in the @#$%%! knuckle upside !@@#^%! down!!!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.