Pirate 4x4 banner

Who carries AMC 360 distributor gears

991 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Monkeyboy 
#1 ·
I am having a hell of a time finding a parts store that has or carries the distributor drive gear for my 85 Grand waggy.

I need one by this weekend or early next week.

The Jeep dealer part number which I got from Willy's works in Arizona is

J3208615

Napa tells me it's an obsolete part. everyone else tells me about 6 days to order.

#3 ·
Just got off the phone with the third Napa Auto parts Store
The one furthest from work but closest to my home actually looked beyond the fact that it was an obsolete part and checked to see if any one had it in stock:rolleyes:

He's going to over night it from Salt lake City.
I guess it helps to have the Local Napa autoparts store guy living down at the end of my street :D

Dude decided me to give me a jobber rate :D

#7 ·
Even at that it sounds Like a Blem Item

Fits 1967-91 all AMC engines. Only one side of the pin is drilled. Customer must drill the other side to let the roll pin install all the way through the gear.

#8 ·
yeah mine was like that...its probably for a different application and happens to work for 360's too when drilled out.

Summit sell em for v6's or something.
Search on their site for Mallory Drive gear and you'll see what they have.

Drilling it out was a no brainer...I actually forgot I had done that until someone brought it up a while ago.

MJ

#10 · (Edited)
Monkeyboy said:
Even at that it sounds Like a Blem Item

Fits 1967-91 all AMC engines. Only one side of the pin is drilled. Customer must drill the other side to let the roll pin install all the way through the gear.
No it is for proper indexing, the hole is there as a starter hole. You drill the shaft and finish the hole so they line up perfect.

#12 ·
If your desparate and don't mind spending 40 bucks or so, just go buy the whole distributer for a mid 70's cj with a 304. Pop the gear off and take it the rest of it back to get your core charge.

I had a hard time finding a replacement and it was the best option. The older distributer models are alot cheaper and I would put money that the gear is identical. Take your old one in to make sure but I bet you will be alright. 304, 360, 401 distributers are all interchangeable.

Hope this helps,
Later

#13 ·
Is their a difference between the early year distributors and the later distributors.
I do know that late models had pointless ignition.
How much of a difference otherwise is their in the distributor body?

I am fawking drunk!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.