Pirate 4x4 banner

Full Width Steering setup

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  StudNuts 
#1 ·
I got a 00 TJ, Im putting full width 65" Ford F-100 Dana 44 / 9" axles in. Need some info on how to setup my steering, the tie rod and drag link. This is on my DD. I would like to eliminate the 'Y' setup and do a crossover of some sort. But if a 'y' can be created that is functional ill do it. Can someone give some input and help out, maybe some pics?

I did a search, it came up with one answer, hydrolic steering, which I can't afford.

#3 ·
Oxjockey said:
You searched? Really? I searched for Crossover steering dana 44' and came up with two pages of results. Almost none of them mentioned hydro.

:flipoff2:
It's for a TJ which means that he can't just slap on std crossover steering:rolleyes:

I'd look into having a solid tierod made with a hole drilled into it to accept a TRE. H8Monday used to have this set up before he went to a TR behind the axle. Search for that if you need pics. Anyways, this should allow you to closely match the track bar angle that you need.

#4 ·
Ummm......why not Jeep J-Tuck steering or Waggy steering with longer driver's side TRE and draglink end at the pitman to make up for the added width? Mount it to the stock location or go on top of the knuckle in Hysteer fashion, either way, match the angle with you track bar and you're good to go.

#5 ·
http://www.rightcoastcrawler.com/billaVista/Steering/Steering_Research/steeringresearch.htm

i tried a regular hi steer setup from avalanche.... no go!!
so as per phil's(1tontj) recomendation im putting together and inverted T setup like its shown on the site i jsut posted.

using the right hand thread stuff that avalanche reccomends then using the left hand tre and drag link end off that site. so far it looks like it will work just fine. when avalanche built the rods they went right hand thread on both ends. so i just bought left hand inserts and the rod is actually at a good welding shop right now being welded together. (i like living i guess you could say id rather have a PRO weld something that critcal)

i should be done iwth the whole setup in a couple days.

oh DO NOT use a drop pitman arm. get a a waggy one.

DP

#6 ·
Like I said, Jeep J-10 "inverted-T" stuff should be the ticket, you'll need to ream out your pitman for the bigger TRE, or find one the right skew and drop for your application.

#7 ·
Scout Dude said:

It's for a TJ which means that he can't just slap on std crossover steering:rolleyes:

I'd look into having a solid tierod made with a hole drilled into it to accept a TRE. H8Monday used to have this set up before he went to a TR behind the axle. Search for that if you need pics. Anyways, this should allow you to closely match the track bar angle that you need.
flame all you want, newbie needs steering assistance

Bump steer issue ?? A simple question :)

Both asked in September 2002.

Bryan

#9 ·
dude ...first of all 65" is not full width .:flipoff2: second of all i have a tj also and you can run what ever set-up you want. i will be running real high steer where the tie-rod goes from one arm to the other arm ,then the center link will double shear into the passanger side arm,and that is the way to do it ,also you can run hydro assist.if ya want call me at 336-986-5337 im in winston and i can get you real nice hish steer arms cheap.

#11 ·
tj what do you want a frigg'n cookie. :flipoff2:

well "when" you actually have it done lets see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.