Pirate 4x4 banner

258 intake & exhaust maniford HELP!!!

18K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  TOY 2 
#1 ·
I need some help! I've got a 77 CJ7 w/258 one barrel carb. I recently replaced the header due to a crack. So I bought the only Calif. legal header I could find, Pacesetter. I installed it had the exhaust shop run new pipe and a new Cat. since mine was toast. Now $350 later it leaks still. I'm having trouble getting it to seal. If you are familiar with these motors you know how the two manifolds mount. The intake won't seal so there isn't enough vacuum to keep it running. It won't suck the gas into the cylinders. Then when it does start it blows shit out of the exhaust header since it won't seal either. AGH! it sucks. I'm trying to get it going for the Rubicon clean up run in October. Any help other than from a smart ass would be appreciated. Thanks and tread lightly.

:usa: :jeep:

#2 ·
if you are running the oem intake with the pacesetter header you may need you grind some of the header/and or the intake down to make it seat well, I have heard this through others...I have a clifford header and know that you have to order adapter part to make it fit with the oem intake give pacesetter a call and see if they also have a adapter kit..........ltr

#3 ·
MANIFOLD

THE FLANGE ON THE INTAKE AND ON THE HEADER SHUOLD BE THE SAME THICKNESS.IF THEY ARE NOT THE WASHER WILL ONLY TIGHTEN THE THICKESS FLANGE FIRST.I DONT KNOW IF THERE ARE SPECIAL WASHERS AVAILBLE.IF NOT, MEASURE THE TWO FLANGES AND SEE WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS ,THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE WASHERS THAT HAVE A STEP TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE MANIFOLDS.

#4 ·
I rebuilt my 258 about a year and a half ago, and I spent almost $400 on a brand spankin' new factory exhaust manifold (looking back now, I cringe at the thought...). Well, it's leaking now also. I tried replacing the gaskets, but that only worked for about three days before the leak came back. I need to address this problem soon, and a buddy of mine mentioned a copper gasket sealer that they used on older cars. I'll talk to him and try to back to you with more details, but it might be something worth looking into. Like some of the others have mentioned, you might want assemble the intake and exhaust together and take it to a machine shop and have them flatten the surfaces together (similar to decking a cyclinder block). There's my 2cents.

#5 ·
Capt. Nemo said:
I need to address this problem soon, and a buddy of mine mentioned a copper gasket sealer that they used on older cars.
Permatex copper gasket sealer is MANDATORY on 258 intake and exhaust manifolds. So is tightening the bolts in the proper sequence. I've never had a leak using the above mentioned items.

#6 ·
manifold

Thanks guys,
The flanges are totally different. The exhaust flange is 3/8" and the stock cast intake flange is like 1 3/8". The header came with shims but they aren't longer enough. I called pacesetter and the said they made two different ones and would send the longer ones out. 2 weeks later they came and were exactly the same. I called again they said they don't make the long ones anymore and to deal with it. Good customer service Ah? Any way I'm going to try and add a washer to the short ones and permatex the sh!t out of it with that copper stuff. I'll let ya'll know what happens. Thanks again.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just an FYI. Specialty parts in Cordelia, CA has the best deal on replacement exhaust manifolds. (and i REALLY looked!!)

I just pulled out my reciept. $258 shipped to my door!! Never leaked, fitted perfectly, never warped!. Ran it for 4 years, no problems.

Kiethstrongisajackass@specialtyparts.com

800-504-5337

[EDITED BY STEVE FOR CORRECT CONTACT INFO. CHECK THE SPIFFY EMAIL ADDY.]

#8 ·
I tried to deal with Clifford:flipoff:, they have the worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with, about getting some spacers for my intake and headers. I ended up using my sawzall and grinder and made my intake the same as my headers, about 3/8 of an inch. It worked great as far as the intake goes, my headers leak but thats a different issue.

#9 ·
the pacesetter is a POS and everyone who i have ever heard of who had one had many many problems. imo put it on ebay and pawn it off on some other unsuspecting fool if they wont give you your money back. either way get rid of that thing its crap. so i've heard :nuke:
there have been some posts on orc and ju about them try a search there

-web

#11 ·
ukjeeper said:
Just an FYI. Specialty parts in San Carlos, CA has the best deal on replacement exhaust manifolds. (and i REALLY looked!!)

I just pulled out my reciept. $258 shipped to my door!! Never leaked, fitted perfectly, never warped!. Ran it for 4 years, no problems.

specialtyparts@att.net

(650) 592 2130

We are in Cordelia now. New phone 707-863-8377 or 800-504-jeep (non local)

or click on the link in my sig.

#12 ·
Dave,
Did you try to seal that POS again yet? Let me know if you need some help. That setup really looks like crap and even if you get it to seal it will probably be a pain in the a$$ in the future as well. I would really recommend to see what else is out there. Try to return that POS.
KB

#13 ·
header

KB

I recently found out that Doug Thorley has a header for my jeep. I may go that route, if the permatex doesn't work. I plan on trying to fix it this weekend.

Dave

#14 ·
Why do you want to run a header so bad? They will just cause you to replace gaskets way too often. Im not familiar with the 258 but, I would really just consider the stock manifold if possible.

#15 ·

Well mainly because I lack power, as it is and I'd rather not go backwards. Also I can't afford not to use it. If I go back to the stock manifold I'll need to have more exhaust work done which is more money. I'm not ruling it out just would like to try and fix it before I go back to the stock manifold. Has any one tried the New Doug Thorley header for CJ's?

#17 ·
Re: 258

rckjeep said:
Well mainly because I lack power, as it is and I'd rather not go backwards. Also I can't afford not to use it. If I go back to the stock manifold I'll need to have more exhaust work done which is more money. I'm not ruling it out just would like to try and fix it before I go back to the stock manifold.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I wouldn't think that the Thorley header would exit in the same place as the POS Pacesetter, so you are looking at redoing the exhaust anyway:confused:

Seriously how much more power do you think you are generating by running the headers, I would say best case you are getting 5 tops, and that's only at high rpm's.

I'm not trying to persuade you to run one or the other, personally I could care less, but make sure you cover all your bases before you just run out and buy another header.

#18 ·
header

Well, It's all back together. She doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere. WooHoo! It started and ran tonight. But the carb needs adjustment. I need to seal it up better, it leaks a bit. but at least the header seems OK. cross your fingers, and prayer to what ever God you have, it can't hurt. Hey 4 Dice members, whens the next club meeting? I hope I can drive the Jeep to the meeting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.