Pirate 4x4 banner

Official AMC 360 tech thread

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Sundowner 
#1 ·
Ok I picked up a free waggy with a 360 in it.
I have scoured all oover the internet for tips tricks and upgrades to do to the motors. Can we put a list of the parts suppliers tips and what not here for future Pirate BB users so they can find everything in one thread when they do a search for The AMC 360?

The number one upgrade I want to do once I get the turd running is do the TFI ignition upgrade. Their are a few stages to this upgrade that you can run. I guess it consists of upgradeing the cap rotor and coil to that found on a 1984 Ford F-350 that had a 460 in it :D
Heres a link to the upgrade I found.
http://www.ifsja.org/tech/electrical/ignitionupgrade.shtml

Alot of people swear by the DUI HEI distributor upgrade. I can't shell out the $350 bucks for this though.

What cams are people running in these motors what intake and carbs are you guys running?

This is my feeble attempt to bring some Jeep tech back to this Jeep section. If you want 8.8 axle information go look in the ford section.

See less See more
#3 ·
Pertronix is not necesarry if you do have an older point type ignition system.

Just upgrade to a 79 is when they started on the motor craft pointless ignition setup. I think that is when they started the pointless ignition dealio. At that point just do the TFI upgrade as well.

#6 ·
Most cam upgrades I have read about have been using the Summit 8600K setup... very similar to Edlebrock and Comp Cams specs for less $$$ with good overall range (1500-5000 around .260-.270 dur.).... I prefer the shorter duration (around .250) for better low end. (800-4500)

RPM performer intakes and 1406 carbs are common as well.

the 360's put out ample torque stock,but 195 ponies was the average.

TFI is a GREAT upgrade in itself for under $100

There is a guy that goes by TPIGUY that has TBI systems using Edlebrock intake and GM TBI for under 1K and have heard all good reports.

# 7 and #8 have always had oiling problems... www.froadin.com has a good writeup on the oiling mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.