Pirate 4x4 banner

TF 727 Swap Snag???

710 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  thenodnarb 
#1 ·
I am swapping a 727 from a 82 Cherokee into a 89 Jeep Wrangler. Upon ordering my shifter this morning I learned that the 727 may have a electronic lock-up converter on it. Upon further inspection here at lunch time, yes it does. Question is, how do I deal with this problem. The tranny has one electrical plug that has 3 posts on it. I purchased the tranny from a salvage yard, any suggestions!!!

#2 ·
Are you sure the three prong connector is not your neutral safety and reverse lights. I was under the impression that the 727 Lock convertors where not electric. If the three prong connector points towards the rear of the tranny, is on the left side and is near the linkage then it's for the neutral safety and reverse lights.

Another way to confirm if you have a lock-up 727 is to pull the Torque Convertor, if the input shaft has a hole in it then it's a lock up.

Joe

#3 ·
Yes the shaft has a hole in it, and it is not splined all the way to the end (about 3/4" is machined smooth)! And you are correct about the electrical connector, it is on the drivers side, (left) and is facing rearward with 3 male round bullets. So this is a lock-up version, now is this electric or not, and if so how much of a concern is this? I am again treading in new territory with this swap so any good info is greatly appreciated!

#5 ·
So can someone explain "Lock-up" to me, this obviously is not electronic and something I shouldn't have to worry about correct! How about the pin out on this tranny, does anyone know which pin is neutral safety and which is reverse, I am assuming one is 12 volt in!

#6 ·
is someone else helping you swap this thing because I dont think your gonna make it. dont be scared of electricty.

the shifter you just bought will have a neutral saftey switch and reverse light switch. the neutral saftey switch is simply a ground for the automatic shutdown relay. the ASD allows power to the coil so the engine can run. the nuetral switch simply allows power to the relay (so it can activate)only when in park or neurtal. so forget the little plug on the tranny. just bolt the thing up, dont forget the torque convertor bolts, hook up a trans cool, and get the lokar kickdown kit from summit(~50bucks)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.