Pirate 4x4 banner

chev d44 & ford 9"..?

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Oxjockey 
#1 ·
for my YJ/CJ/Ford/Chev

t-176
d300

Scoutdude has been kind enough to give me a bit of info on this proticular swap via e-mail. After much searching and quite a bit of reading I have finally come to the conclusion that I should just ask in order to find specs more directed to my needs. first off I'd like to have 60's but don't have the dollars.. so deal with it. I don't want to flip the t-case... way too much dollars. I understand that the chev d44 may be my best way to go (73-77). I like the idea of using a ford 9" and will for sure convert to discs. I got the diferentiating from 8" to 9" down pat. my questions are as follows:

1. can I use a sscout d44? Is it pas dump?
2. If I use the chev d44 and 9" will they be different widths?
3. When swaping the chev d44 over to 5 lug to match the rear what is the most cost efective Part# or model and year for the bearing spindles and rotars
4. What year f150 rotars should I get for the 9" disk conversion and do I have to use ford, they are way over priced
5. I may very well have a line on a Lincon 9" with discs already in it, would this be any good for my swap. ie. lenth & bolt pattern, is it a good deal for 350$ can. providing the calipers work.
6. When I was looking around the scrap yard yestarday I was almost sure that it was a 9" in a Nisan or Mazda er somethin (only the back was left) is this possible?
7. What about gears, I have decided that I won't wory about trying to match them from the yard instead just buy them aftermarket and deal with the cost. my question is, are they avalible for the above listed axles in the same ratios?

TRANNEY Q:
1. I want to convert my existing mechanical clutch to hydrolic. Is this possible?
2. I saw something about an Iron Duke having a slave cylinder that bolts in. Is this true?

Thanks fer yer help in advance

P.S. not newbie... new to this board....

See less See more
#2 ·
Post #1 == Newbie on this board :flipoff2: No way around it

You couldn't have searched THAT hard because most of your questions could have been answered easily be searching. :rolleyes:

1) Scout D44 - Yep, it a passenger drop. Draw back is they have little to no castor.
2) Depends on the donors, but most likely yes they will be different width.
3&4) - Search or hope someone else answers.
5) Is it 5x5.5" bolt pattern? With the rear disc setup that would be good potential donor. What is its width? Does if fit your needs?
6) What are you smokin? Probably a TOY, and its not a 9"
7) Jeeze!! Go look in a 4x4 rag or at one of the online sites like Randy's Ring and Pinion.

Tanny Q's:

1. Yes
2. Yes - Goto www.monsterslayer.com for a hydro conversion webpage.

And learn how to search better! :flipoff2:

#3 ·
SEARCH!!!

Scout Dana 44 would be about 60" wide, with cast in pads for SUA, and zero caster=steers like a tractor, Chevy Dana 44 would be about 67" wide, cast in pads for SOA, good caster. Depends on what you want. If you desire 60's in the future, run an eight lug Chevy Dana 44 front and a 14bolt rear, the 14 bolt will probably be cheaper than the 9" If you're set on 5 on 5.5 wheels, get an F-150 or fullsize Bronco 9" (67" wide) with the Chevy 44 front, or an Early Bronco (58" wide) to go with a Scout front, or Scout Dana 44 rear (58" wide)

#10 ·
coasterbuoy said:
for my YJ/CJ/Ford/Chev

4. What year f150 rotars should I get for the 9" disk conversion and do I have to use ford, they are way over priced
Thanks fer yer help in advance

P.S. not newbie... new to this board....
Where did you find info on running front F150 rotors with rear disk brakes? Or are you running from calipers in the rear?
Cheaper than Ford for 5 on 5.5? You'll have to switch for 6 on 5.5 and run Chevy parts.

#13 ·
Mr. N:
I am going to run f150 rotars and GM calipers in the back. to reiterate the question. Is there a cheaper way to get 5 on 5.5 rotars that are the same quality or better than the ford ones. But I am not sure if I really need that answered anymore because I was talking to some stock car racers about buying aftermarket rotars and they said "Our GM rotars last us about a month, we tryed the aftermarket rotars to save some coin and they lasted a weekend, ya get what ya pay for" so I think I will stick with the ford ones and pay the extra coin.... unless GM or Chrysler makes a 5 on 4.5 rotar? the extra piss off is that I don't get a discount at Ford so it's REALLY expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.