Pirate 4x4 banner

Build up Plans..

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  coiledcj7 
#1 ·
My friend and I are preparing to begin a rather lengthy build up of his 92 YJ, his tranny is about to have a heart attack and this started the inevitable "lets replace everything" mentality. With the Farmers almanac stating a long winter, we gotta have something to do. Here is our plan thus far:

Keep the 4.0L
Bored out Throttle body
K&N
Borla Headers & Exhaust

Tranny Replacement (unknown??) suggestions

probably keep the NP 231 ($$) and put a 32 spine tailshaft kit on it.

Full width waggy 44's w/ 4.88's and Ox-Lockers
(Any thoughts about tracking some good east coast axles down?)

Waggy Springs

New Frame = 2 x 4 square tube 14" longer than stock to increase wheelbase and give the capability of adding a winch off the rear.

22 Gallon Fuel cell

Full Cage (don't have a bender, again lack of $$) -theres a shop an hour or so a way that quoted 400 for a point cage using the stock center hoop. (does that sound about right? don't have a lot of other fab shops around here to compare with.)

Avalanche Comp corners (or equivilant) $ Flat Fender front

Were trying to get the most bang for the buck and this doesn't seem like a bad plan to me so far. I know I left out a lot but I didn't want to bore you all with the details. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially regarding the tranny, adapters, and transfer case options) Thanks everyone..

See less See more
#5 ·
bizlax said:
what you think for a tranny? SM420 or NV4500 or something else... Sm420 would be nice but I'm not sure what the availability is up here in rust country...
Everyting you are asking is pretty basic stuff around here and probably why you aren't getting lots of replies (I'd prefer no replies over flames :D).

That said: SM420. SM465 or NP435 would be good trannies. NV4500 is too. They will all have to be adapted (in one way or another) to fit your engine/TC combination. Parts are NOT hard to come by up there. I just moved from Mt Vernon, NH a year ago. Get the Want Ads and start trolling. I found a NP435 for $75.00... There are plenty of yards up there too for parts trolling.

Next: Use the SEARCH button. It will save you lots of grief :D

Welcome newbie :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

#6 ·
If you want bang for the buck I wouldnt waste any money on the bored out throttle body, or the header for that matter. use a ford 4 speed truck tanny if you want a manual. Use a jeep auto with a dana 300 bolted to it and use the appropriate year waggy axles to match the T-case if you want an auto. Axles sound good, but what tires do you plan running? Also for bang for the buck ditch the OX's for a mini spool in the rear and a lockright in the front and convert the case to over 2wd low (this will allow the front tires to turn independantly kinda like a selectable locker) I bet you it will be alot less time consuming to just use the stock frame, it is plenty strong, and who really needs a rear winch? Sounds like a trail rig so run a smaller stock fuel tank instead of a 22 gallon one to keep the ground clearance, this is why man invented jerry cans. the rollcage sounds fairly reasonable, and the plans for the comp corners are cool just need to add some rocker protection.

#7 ·
So far it looks like were going to throw on some 36 inch TSL bias... using 2" lift BDS springs... I have some 1/2" lift Daystar shackles lying around, but I don't know If I'm going to need them, I'd love to just because of how strong they are...

I was going to throw a manual in, just because of their simplicity and lower cost, but I'm not an expert on the different depreciation values of similar year autos and manuals....

So your thought is don't waste any money on the 4.0 if I don't have to... (hopefully a V8 swap or Vortec V6 will be in the future), but at this point I really don't want to bite off more than I can chew... (fabricating I have some knowledge, engine swaps and engine tuning I am merely a novice)

If I can pick up a decent condition SM420, 465 would I need to rebuild it before rockin' it, and if so what type of cost am I looking at?

#8 ·
Mini spool would be dumb, go full spool all the way if you can. Ditto on the stock frame strength, just add to it unless it's know to be bent, rotted, or scabbed up. SM420 is nice and short, but use driver's diff with it to avoid driveshaft issues with the reverse idler hump on the passenger side. '80 & up Waggy Dana 44 front will work nice for that, or cut down a '78 F-250 Dana 44, HP and leaf pads, almost a bolt in. You can get the SM420 hooked up to a 23 spline NP231 for about $600, not sure on the bellhousing to go to the 4.0, but don't buy the crank trigger relocator, just fab up a bracket and chop a hole in the bell.

#11 ·
Good Ideas, guess I was putting the cart before the horse on the new frame idea... But my problem then is extending the wheelbase then... that was the idea for the frame to allow that... I guess if I went to waggy springs front and rear I could gain a bit, but not much... Is there any solution to gain more than 1-2" aside from telling me to ditch the leafs and rock some coils... although...

Plus the OX Lockers.. I mean roughly 650 per end...

I still want to rock the fuel cell just because of the massive amounts of clearance you gain from it...

#13 ·
bizlax said:
My friend and I are preparing to begin a rather lengthy build up of his 92 YJ, his tranny is about to have a heart attack and this started the inevitable "lets replace everything" mentality. With the Farmers almanac stating a long winter, we gotta have something to do. Here is our plan thus far:

Keep the 4.0L
Bored out Throttle body
K&N
Borla Headers & Exhaust

Tranny Replacement (unknown??) suggestions

probably keep the NP 231 ($$) and put a 32 spine tailshaft kit on it.

Full width waggy 44's w/ 4.88's and Ox-Lockers
(Any thoughts about tracking some good east coast axles down?)

Waggy Springs

New Frame = 2 x 4 square tube 14" longer than stock to increase wheelbase and give the capability of adding a winch off the rear.

22 Gallon Fuel cell

Full Cage (don't have a bender, again lack of $$) -theres a shop an hour or so a way that quoted 400 for a point cage using the stock center hoop. (does that sound about right? don't have a lot of other fab shops around here to compare with.)

Avalanche Comp corners (or equivilant) $ Flat Fender front

Were trying to get the most bang for the buck and this doesn't seem like a bad plan to me so far. I know I left out a lot but I didn't want to bore you all with the details. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially regarding the tranny, adapters, and transfer case options) Thanks everyone..
First I seach, THEN I post.

Repeat this sentence to yourself 10 times each time you log on to the Pirate BBS.

#16 ·
I wouldn't mess with the stock 231 T/C.
I would get a Ford NP 435 transmission and put a twin sticked 205 behind it.
You looking for a good east coast connection to buy your junk?
Call Paul Murois at (508) 612-2045 (Paul's Ford Barn) in MA.
Tell him Gary from Pa sent you. He can hook you up with the 435, 205 and 44's or 60's if you want. If he dosn't have it, he can get it.
I'm pretty sure he still has a HP 44 front for 250.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.