Pirate 4x4 banner

Great News On Ox

5K views 82 replies 34 participants last post by  Haole 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
GREAT NEWS on OX
I just learned that Ox Trax is FINALLY decided to sell direct to the consumer.

blah blah blah,

Spam.....

Spam......

Spam.....

etc.
This is a public service announcement, I have no ownership or employee interest in this Company, just like the product and the people behind it. John

_SEE BELOW_________________

#4 ·
JDN said:

I have no ownership or employee interest in this Company, just like the product and the people behind it. John

So that means your friends with the owners and you come on here and pimp their shit for them while they don't pay for advertising. Nice :rolleyes:

#5 ·
Re: Re: Great News On Ox

bigdude said:

So that means your friends with the owners and you come on here and pimp their shit for them while they don't pay for advertising. Nice :rolleyes:
I was kinda thinkin the same thing ;)

It doesnt really matter to me though....now you can get a relatively unproven product that is a pian in the ass direct from the factory :rolleyes: Thanks but no thanks. I like lockers without any more moving parts than necessary ;)

#9 ·
What's the deal with the Ox locker, I thought about getting one, but a buddy of mine has all kinds of trouble keeping it engaged. He has to keep making adjustments to the cable or some shit like that. Are they really worth it?

#10 ·
A little bit of insider info here as far as cost: Ox (owned and funded now by Superior) only gives 15% back from retail to the 7 or so "authorized" distributors. This did not make them very happy, as they are used to seeing a 30-35 point margin on goods.
Remember originally they sold it all as a kit? Cable included with locker. The retailers bitched so they split it up so they could make more margin on the whole deal. They assured the retailers that the price would come down as soon as they turned some of the CNC'd pieces into castings, thus making it cheaper to produce. Makes you wonder.:confused:

#12 ·
Weasel,
You got that right! Amazing how companies do things like that and wheelers(consumers) don't even know. But hey, its all about money to most of these big companies.

#13 ·
I am going to ignore the typical BULLSHIT one finds on this thread, however for those interested:
1. Yes, I was down at the plant and saw that they had on site OX lockers for the Std. D60 ready to ship. How many, and how long they will last before the next production run, I dont know. Suggest you call them for details.
2. Regarding shifting mechanism. The new shifters are spring loaded and should require no adjustment. I have them and they work fine for me.
3. Those people who had adjusting problems USUALLY had unusual cable routing situations. I routed mine straight in from front and rear meaning to engage my front I move the lever forward, to engage my rear I move my lever backward. Some people want to move the levers in the same direction but to do that means a big loop in the rather stiff cable and I believe that is where there problems arise, presuming they initially adjusted it properly.
Anyone else want info please email me directly as I dont wish to be accused of spamming when all I was trying to do is alert youall to what I think is a good thing. john

#15 ·
TJ Fan said:
A little bit of insider info here as far as cost: Ox (owned and funded now by Superior) only gives 15% back from retail to the 7 or so "authorized" distributors. This did not make them very happy, as they are used to seeing a 30-35 point margin on goods.
Remember originally they sold it all as a kit? Cable included with locker. The retailers bitched so they split it up so they could make more margin on the whole deal. They assured the retailers that the price would come down as soon as they turned some of the CNC'd pieces into castings, thus making it cheaper to produce. Makes you wonder.:confused:
I want to know where you got this "insider info" that they are cast?
They are NOT cast, they are CNC machined out of billit.

#17 ·
"They assured the retailers that the price would come down as soon as they turned some of the CNC'd pieces into castings, thus making it cheaper to produce."

Thanks Mo, thats exactly what I said and meant, whether they have done it yet, I am not sure. What I do know is, I feel that would be a bogus move on their part. As far as the "insider info" heres how that works 1) Get a job at a large automotive aftermarket company company due to the fact my brain is worth a couple of bucks. ;) 2) Be involved with these companies on a day to day basis, and the best one 3) Get off your ass and go to SEMA and talk to all of them both sober and intoxed.:D

#20 ·
JeepinIan said:

I want to know where you got this "insider info" that they are cast?
They are NOT cast, they are CNC machined out of billit.

What components are they considering when they claim that all of the parts are CNC'd from billet?
I have heard from two seperate, and very reliable sources, that the spider gear assembly in the units that they disassembled, was all stock spicer components.
Production cost cant be that much, when using stock components that are already available, for large portions of the assembly. I think cost of a Dana 44 Spicer spider gear assembly is only about $60.
I would also not consider the stock Spicer spider gears to be strong enough to handle, very aggressive rock crawling.

Correct me if Im wrong.

#21 ·
Did you mean, "due to the fact THAT" your brain is worth a couple of bucks...?
:blender: is what my brain feels like about now! You should try living with a spouse who is an English teacher! I am always getting corrected on verbage!:D Does not seem to make me any better though!

H8Monday: Great point, can't wait to hear the response on that one:D

#24 ·
Damn, another debate, I like my OX, I use it on the trail, I don't compete, it has never come unlocked accidentally, it does need a little coaxing to lock and unlock, but nothing unbearable, I mean, like 3 seconds of presure on the shifter, maybe a quick jerk of the wheel. I would be dissapointed if the switched to a cast case, but isn't the ARB cast? I wonder about the strength of the spiders, but the fact that they are off-the shelf parts means that they don't have to be shipped from the other side of the planet and they don't need to dome from the locker manufacturer. My ARB broke the cast case, and the spiders, and everything else, but I don't know if it was a defective unit, or if it was improperly installed, I know lots of people with ARB's that love them, same with OX's, I also know several people with problematic ARB's and a few with problematic OX's Anyway, I like mine, you like yours, let's go wheelin!

By the way, for those of you that have been following all this OX vs. ARB crap, I sent H8Monday a hub in one of my OX-Trax boxes...he, he, he. :flipoff2:

#26 ·
Just to reply to the brainy know it all:
1. Ox is NOT owned by Superior
2, Ox does not, has not, never intends to use any castings at all. In fact, I believe OX may be the ONLY locker not using castings. Their parts are from Billeted steel CNC milled, they got 4 CNC machines in their shop. SOME parts are currently FORGED, forging is considered STRONGER then even CNC milling of billeted steel.
3. Ox manufactures some of their gears and buys certain others from Spicer. None are what you would call stock gears. All are special steel case hardened with expensive heat treatment. The entire Ox system is designed to be FAIL SAFE.
Now, for the rest of you, if this is spamming I apologize, it is not my intent, but I am just not going to sit back and allow lies, mistruths and innuendo do be posted with no response on my part. jdn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.