Pirate 4x4 banner

Pics from Uwharrie NF 9/21

1K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Kilby 
#1 · (Edited)
I got some pics posted of some recent wheeling last month & this weekend.

(I'm the geek in the black T-shirt driving the red TJ.)

Can anybody I.D. the yellow YJ at the bottom?

He ruled the ho's on Kodak rock...
A group of 'em came from Tennessee & they said they had a website, but I forgot what it was... Anybody know this guy?

Freakin' sweet rig.

http://road-trip-mag.com/jeep/unf.htm

Edit: sorry I didn't fix up thumbnails yet...
kinda lacking time right now.

#2 ·
I don't know the guy with the Yellow YJ, but it's defineately a KILLER RIG look at the cage, it has a halo bar with no vertical support, is that a roll cage or a roof rack? It looks like he has to hold it up with his arm (second pic) to keep it from falling on his head.

#4 ·
hey "geek in the black T-shirt driving the red TJ" do you know what a seat belt is, looks like fun out there and it also looks like the YJ could get a 90 degree(+) approach angle if he would cut the landing strip off of the front it his Jeep, but hey it is still sweet

#6 ·
I can't even imagine someone building a cantilever roll cage like that. Somebody give this guy an IQ test - he shouldn't be allowed to drive. The yellow TJ is :rainbow:

What's so fawkin built about it?

#10 ·
DEnd said:
I just love how the camera is down at ground level to make the rocks there look bigger :flipoff2:

Here's what the rocks really look like there :flipoff2:
Well, who am I to argue with someone who has your camera skill, and is an obvious master of the roughest terrain.
:rolleyes:

#12 ·
There is lots o' fun stuff there, man...
Every time I see Kodak Rock it's different.

Pieces of it keep gettting broken off and moved and the trail gets more worn out & eroded.

I've got a bunch more pics of the "non cool and totally unchallenging flat trails" from this weekend, but maybe I'll just keep 'em to myself since they suck so bad. LO:flipoff2:L

BEAST... did you ever sell your 9" rear?

#13 ·
Been there, done that.

Were you guys up for the SFWDA meeting at Uwharrie? We were there for that and some wheeling. All-in-all a good weekend. Nothing terribly challenging (didn't bother to disconnect/air down all weekend), but pretty area and VERY well maintained (clean, trails well marked, and fences to keep ATV schleps in check) by area clubs. We were also impressed by the effort the SFWDA made to accomodate families with children. It was a great event obviously with a lot of effort that went into it.

Money shot:
OK, maybe only $0.05 shot...

The rest:
http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=bluesman2a&album_id=100633

BTW, the yellow YJ was some guy that was staying at the Holiday Inn Express. The Jeep was a trailer queen that stayed parked in the hotel lot a majority of the weekend with the owner(s) hanging out and chatting for quite a bit :confused: .

#14 ·
Kilby said:

Can anybody I.D. the yellow YJ at the bottom?

Freakin' sweet rig.
I wheeled with him in Tellico. Nice guy but his Jeeps really not that great. Box tube links, 1/4" wall, yadda yadda yadda, prolly about 7000 lbs. The cage is a joke and he has been quoted as saying the reason he built it that way is "because the floor boards are rusted and if we put down-legs to them then the floor would just crumble."

#15 ·
ha ha! rusty floor boards...
:rolleyes: Cry me a river, man... you're driving a JEEP. Seems like that'd be an easy fix in order to have a stouter roll cage. I mean, it's only protecting... uh... your life or whatever.

He did make short work of an obstacle that was kicking the asses of other rigs, tho.

In that guy's group there were a couple other rigs that were a little better built than his, but i didn't get around to posting ALL the pics.

I thought his suspension set-up was cool. He had his links set up a little different than most other dudes around our area.

:DI guess i'm just so used to seeing bolt-on lifts & suspensions, that I'm EASILY impressed.:D

I'll get some more pics up of the other rigs.

#16 ·
Kilby said:

In that guy's group there were a couple other rigs that were a little better built than his, but i didn't get around to posting ALL the pics.
I've seen everyone in that group made to look stupid by a simple SOA YJ with a 4-banger ;) They think they've got it all figured out though :)

#18 ·
There was a freakin' IFS Tacoma w/ 33's on saturday that WALKED the hardest line on that section. Tons of kitted-out jeeps were getting smacked by it all day.
Either, not listening to spotters or hanging diffs or chickening out.

What you say is true: It's not the beast being driven but the beast doing the driving. Still you gotta have a certain "level" of equipment coupled with the know-how...

#20 · (Edited)
Published??

OOOH!

You've been published!

Sweet.

What mags? i've been working for outdoors magazines since I was in college. Used to be a staffer for 3 newspapers in blacksburg, VA & one in culpeper. That's not counting all my freelance work over the last 8 years.

Alas, this IS Jeep tech... so I should make it relevant.

There are a few 4wd magazines looking for photogs on THIS side of the country... You shoot for any of them?

PM me or something, I might be able to use some help... If you'd let me teach you how to shoot, that is. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.