Pirate 4x4 banner

Orange Peel - Juggy Build

81K views 291 replies 68 participants last post by  mferrari 
#1 ·
Figured I should post here so I can get some extra tips and pointers as I go along...

Decided to take my TJ and retire the body as well as most of the frame. Going to build it for a dual purpose trail rig but something that may also get my foot in the door with comps as well.

Here she sits right now:

Pile of tubing waiting to be bent up:

Axles. HP60 and 14 bolt. May get rid of the HP60 though in favor of a chevy 60 thats passenger drop.

This was idea number 1 for the start of the chassis, but I am still trying to decide how much of the frame I want to keep.

Rear suspension will be a double triangulated 4 link with air shocks. Front will be a 3 link w/ pan hard and air shocks.

See less See more
#117 ·
Got the buggy pulled back into the shop today and started on the wiring. Traced what I thought was a fuel pump short to a short in the auto shut off relay. Ran a new wire and she fired right up. Got a little more work to get done it and she will be atleast ready to go this weekend. Going to run with the broken shock filled with ATF and a 231 crawl box in high range for the weekend then tackle those problems when I get back.

#118 ·
After heading back up this weekend to run the buggy with it actually working I have to say I am very pleased with it thus far. I took off the cable shifters and made just normal manual shifters for the D300 that work ALOT better.
Suspension seems to cycle very well, I am going to be throwing some lighter springs on top up front. Right now I am running 200/250 and it is just too stiff and gets only about 1" of compression. Going to run a 150 up top and see how that works.
Last weekend we had fluid issues which were thought to be the crawl box. I pulled the drain plug and it was full, but my trans was empty... The rear seal on the trans must be shot and it is pouring fluid out back on any sort of incline. Trans is getting pulled for a manual valve body anyways so the seal will be replaced and the weep hole will be plug and mating surface will be RTV'd just incase. Also have a deep pan ready to go on to help keep it from starving on inclines.
Other than that everything is working well, just going to get some more seat time and practice and we should be ready for Aug.

Here are some pictures from the weekend.

Video from the comp course
YouTube - video-2010-06-26-09-59-05

There is a second part with the drop but need to get John to load it. You can see the trans starving for fluid on the climb up.

#119 ·
Buggy sat for a month with no work. This week a put in a little time prepping it for the RCrocs Crawling Comp Finale...

Got the rear transmission seal buttoned up so she doesn't leak on inclines anymore.

Installed limit straps finally in all four corners:

Also swapped the old driver seat to the passenger side (it was a Baja Ultra wide, and I am not a big guy) then installed a normal Baja Ultra on the driver side. No more ******* buggy with 1 seat haha

Gave all the bolts a once over, cleaned up the buggy a litte bit, made a new spotter strap, and it is about set to go. Going to check all the fluids and top off tomorrow then get it loaded up and head to Rausch Creek.

I've got my Dad meeting me up at Rausch Creek this weekend to see what the sport is all about and way I waste so much money. He is also bringing along a nice camera so I should hopefully have some good shots to share next week.

#122 ·
Had a fun day at the competition but due to some carnage ended the day in 4th. We started on C3, got the first gate and lined her up prefectly to get through. While pushing through dropped of a ledge on the front driveshafts, after some rubbing it gave way and snapped.

#123 ·
Next up was C1 for us. After some confusion we thought we had to run right away with not enough time to really fix the front driveshaft. We can up to the 1st gate on top of a ledge with the rear tires sitting in gravel. Gave a few full throttle attempts to get up, after yelling for my spotter to move gave it one more and made it up! Then we got it lined up enough to get 3 through the 2nd gate but couldn't get around enough to get to the 3rd.

#124 ·
Last course was C2. Out on the natural terrian we knew we would need 4wd. We welded up the front driveshaft as best as possible (even though it looked like a rainbow). Then got it back on the buggy for course. Made the first gate, decided the best route for the 2nd was to back through the 2nd gate into the bowl to line up for our 3rd gate. Gave the 3rd gate hell for a minute. With 20 seconds to go we tried a full throttle assault again which twisted and snapped the rear driveshaft.

#126 ·
Next up was the shoot out. There was no way for us to repair the rear driveshaft so we decided to give it hell in front wheel drive with an already damaged driveshaft. Our goal was to get atleast one progression point. First gate was a 3 foot ledge that gave us a some trouble. While attempt to climb up ended up a litte side ways. Trying to reverse out of it, it felt like it was starting to connect but at the same time getting very sideways. Ended rolling 3/4 of the way around. Flipped her over, pulled it out, then drove back to the trailer.

It was a fun and challenging event. For the 3rd time out with the buggy I am very satisfied with its performance. The driveshafts were temp ones made from pieces I had around the shop and hoped to make it until the end of the season. Over the off season we will be re-designing the skid plate, tweak the front suspension a little bit, two piece front driveshaft and new rear shafts, along with some sticky tires. We'll be back and ready for next season in May!

#128 ·
He was pretty amazed at what all the rigs could do. He has been talking about getting a 60s vette or mustang to play around with when he retires but I got his wheels turning on a wheeling rig now. He asked to go on a trail ride next time I head up.

#129 ·
Rebuilt the rear shaft with .250 wall tubing. Front is temp fixed to hold until I go with a 2 piece.

So I think I have decided on a few changes to take place in the off season...

Going to shorten the wheel base 1-2 inches.
Chop the sheet metal from the cowl down and do some boat sides (yep, just like everyone said I should have in the first place).
Re-do the skid system, most likely with some UHMV
2 piece front shaft
Alum roof
Find a way to add some storage in the buggy for a cooler and tools on trail
Also going to hope to get some krawlers by April as well.

Making a run this weekend then two more in Oct. Then going to call it quits for the season and rip into it.

#131 ·
Yeah I was going to do something like that but think I decided to add a neck on the fuel cell and make a big basket across the back. I got some dimple dies and want to use them :smokin:

#132 ·
Made a new front shaft last week. Is is kind of ghetto but wanted to re-use my old one as much as possible (still planning on doing a 2 piece this winter). I took 1.25" .120 wall then 1.5" then 1.75" so it is pretty damn solid.

Then went out this weekend to beat on it some more...

Ended up with a broken driveslug in the front 60. Then flopped and broke the pickup on the fuel pump. Also put a crack in one of the H2s.

Few pictures from the weekend:

Good comparison shot of the ride height:

The flop:

#135 ·
It's low haha. I think it ws 17" at the belly, been hung up a few times but have a few sheets of UHMV ready to get added this winter.

Most of it was built with my trusty 187, the other welder is a Lincoln Power Mig 200 (got a better duty cycle while welding up a full chassis).

#136 ·
Hey whats up Mike?

I have the other orange C3 rig..

We're working on mine too.. I picked up some Superior front shafts and 300M u-joints. I tore through both outers, one inner and 3 u-joints at the last comp..

Had the shafts machined by Branik for more steering:

Going with a double ended ram and we have a few other things to change too..

When you heading to RC again?

#138 · (Edited)
Looks awesome man. You running stock knuckles with that much steering? I need to do something with mine. I was going to send my shafts down to Doug at Extreme to have him machine them for more but I also need to change up my links to make sure I am not rubbing on them.

I was just up this weekend and was going to go back up thanksgiving weekend but we will have to see if I have time and funds to get everything repaired by then. If you get tired of your tires I'll take them off your hands :flipoff2:

#139 ·
Yeah, stock knuckles. Had to grind them down a bit.. I'm hoping to get around 45-46 degrees.. We're rubbing on the links, going to change the geometry a little and going with a 3 link or 4 link in the front instead of the radius arms..

Let me know if you can make Thanksgiving, I'd be up for coming down...

I don't know if I'll ever get tired of my crawlers..:shaking:

#141 ·
Got some new flanges coming Monday. Also fixed the fuel pump (lost the inner vien in the pump). Buggy is good for another trip this year then the tear down starts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.