14 bolt Lockers Grizzly vs. Detroit - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 77571
14 bolt Lockers Grizzly vs. Detroit

Want to buy a locker for my 14 bolt this weekend. Detroit or Grizzly.....

Search bought up only a couple threads on the Grizz.......Not much information out there.

Sure the Grizzly is carrying a great warranty but how well do they work as a locker ??

Know with a Detroit how it is going to function but I am finding the Grizzly`s at 75 +/- cheaper.

Anyone running one that can comment ?

Yes I posted in Chevy section also

Last edited by jsawduste; 03-06-2010 at 05:14 AM.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 93306
are you talking about the full carrier detroit vs. the full carrier grizzly/yukon locker? or full detroit vs. drop in yukon? as far as the info is concerned they are the same (visually) except the detroit gives you a new carrier. granted the 14 bolt is a breeze (according to e wheelers) to setup but i would like to drop in a locker and go. i will not go lunch box ever again. its no fun driving down the highway and shifting gears only to switch 3 lanes. they load and unload sporadically. any way enough ramblings i have the same question as you which is better both performance wise and endurance wise? is the yukon made by detroit but rebadged? or is the yukon a new name still building a reputation with out the $$$ behind it yet?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 17680
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardenk1 View Post
are you talking about the full carrier detroit vs. the full carrier grizzly/yukon locker? or full detroit vs. drop in yukon? as far as the info is concerned they are the same (visually) except the detroit gives you a new carrier. granted the 14 bolt is a breeze (according to e wheelers) to setup but i would like to drop in a locker and go. i will not go lunch box ever again. its no fun driving down the highway and shifting gears only to switch 3 lanes. they load and unload sporadically. any way enough ramblings i have the same question as you which is better both performance wise and endurance wise? is the yukon made by detroit but rebadged? or is the yukon a new name still building a reputation with out the $$$ behind it yet?
14 bolt detroits dont give you a new carrier.....go double check your web wheelin...thanx

Link to my M38 build: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ght=willys+m38
WildWilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5861
For only $75 difference I would go Detroit. The install on both should be pretty much the same, basically they will replace the spider section. The Detroits are pretty well known as bullet proof. I have had a couple of 14 bolts with Detroits and they worked flawlessy. You could hardly tell the Detroit was there, and the install is extremelly easy (heck if I coudl do it, you can too ), and does not require any special tools, and can be done in a few hours, just follow the steps below.

Here is a write-up on me installing at home with a bunch of pics, hope it helps:

/forum/general-4x4-discussion/328610-write-up-pics-how-install-detroit-locker-your-14-bolt.html

Last edited by geberhard; 03-05-2010 at 11:15 PM.
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 108095
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardenk1 View Post
the 14 bolt detroit is more or less a lunchbox locker anyway, just a very large one. The grizzly is a full case for most applications, though I imagine it won't be a full case for a detroit either.
willhf1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 5809
No experience with Grizzly yet but i've been a happy customer of detroit's for many years. Just did a 14-bolt in my YJ and the detroit is great. Super easy to install and it the quietest and smoothest locker i've had.
RoCkSkuLLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 77571
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCkSkuLLz View Post
No experience with Grizzly yet but i've been a happy customer of detroit's for many years. Just did a 14-bolt in my YJ and the detroit is great. Super easy to install and it the quietest and smoothest locker i've had.
Great write up, thanks !!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 124559
For me, $75 isn't enough to make me want to try the Grizzly. Warranties are great in the store.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 85468
As Tommyboy said, "I could crap in a box and put a warranty on it, but its still a box of crap!" Go with the tried and true.
Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
K^2

Member # 49704
Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
For only $75 difference I would go Detroit. The install on both should be pretty much the same, basically they will replace the spider section. The Detroits are pretty well known as bullet proof. I have had a couple of 14 bolts with Detroits and they worked flawlessy. You could hardly tell the Detroit was there, and the install is extremelly easy (heck if I coudl do it, you can too ), and does not require any special tools, and can be done in a few hours, just follow the steps below.
not bulletproof if you break a shaft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhf1011 View Post
the 14 bolt detroit is more or less a lunchbox locker anyway, just a very large one. The grizzly is a full case for most applications, though I imagine it won't be a full case for a detroit either.
lunchbox lockers dont have big ass preload springs like a detroit. The 14 bolt detroit is no different than other detroits, it just does not come with a carrier since the factory 2 piece carrier works fine.
kirbyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 130962
Detroits are not bomb proof.

If you break a shaft in the 14b, it will wipe out the detroit, happened 100's of times, just search.

The new grizzly unit *Claims* it will hold up against shaft breakage, but we'll have to wait and see (I have one coming in a day or so)

Last edited by yj92jeep; 03-09-2010 at 02:54 AM.
yj92jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 119208
Grizz vs. Detroit

Got Grizzly locker a few weeks ago and was instantly disappointed because it was pictured on Yukon as a full carrier replacement, and actually was a drop in Lunch box . Granted it does have a great warranty, I think lifetime, but it seems identical to the Detroit lunch box drop in. I had non functioning detroit i got second hand from a friend and the grizzly looks identical. I have not gotten my rig going so i haven't had a chance to test the grizz, but Look at it like this its a decent price and it is made by Yukon. That is what sold me. I will probably run it till it breaks or misbehaves on the road and switch to a ARB or Ox if they ever get off their asses and make a 14 bolt locker.

There was a write up on another post that claimed you would break a axle shaft before you break the grizzly, and they had a picture of the shaft snapped and the grizz with the teeth stripped out, so the thing is solid but everything has its breaking point. Search grizzly locker on pirate, you should find the thread.

I say you really cant go wrong w/ either. I went w/ the Grizz simply because it was a newer product from Yukon and I feel like they would really stand by their product even if it grenaded.

My two cents
Old 03-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Well bomb proof does not mean unbreakable. With the right amount of love anything can break As lockers go, you can pretty much break anything. I have yet to see a locker that has not break from a Dana 30 to a mog or deuce they can all break. I would still stick with the Detroit if you are planning to drive the rig at all on the street, and if not, weld or spool.
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 77571
Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
Well bomb proof does not mean unbreakable. With the right amount of love anything can break As lockers go, you can pretty much break anything. I have yet to see a locker that has not break from a Dana 30 to a mog or deuce they can all break. I would still stick with the Detroit if you are planning to drive the rig at all on the street, and if not, weld or spool.
The 14 bolt has proven itself to be pretty beefy. As has the Detroit for them.
That is why I went that route. All proven components.

While the Grizz may have an attractive price and a good warranty. We all know the Detroit and it`s reputation. I`ll always be wondering if I made the right decision.

Looks like MAD MAC is gonna set me up with the Detroit. I feel better already.

Gerberhard, thanks for the responses and write up !!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 99670
I just got off the phone with east coast gear supply and they said they do make a full carrier detroit for the 14 bolt. Not sure if they were talking about a non ff.
purp95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
that guy

Member # 10887
Send a message via AIM to MAD MAC Send a message via Yahoo to MAD MAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by purp95gt View Post
I just got off the phone with east coast gear supply and they said they do make a full carrier detroit for the 14 bolt. Not sure if they were talking about a non ff.
why do you want one ? the drop in is not really considered a lunchbox locker in the 14 b flavor. the internals are just the same on both versions.

Mac

[/SIZE]
MAD MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 21408
I've never seen a full carrier Detroit locker for a 14FF, and like said above "why?". Technically the Detroit for the 14FF is a "No-Spin" locker, with this line being for all of the really big axles (Rocks, ag and construction equipment, etc...). Most of these axles all have beefy 2 piece carriers that hold up great to a locker so there is no reason to replace them.

True "lunchbox lockers" were designed to be cheap and easy to install (no R&P setup, etc...), but that is not the reason why the Detroits for the 14FF were designed to not replace the full carrier.
6.2Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 69608
Send a message via Yahoo to ford381stroker
Two weeks ago I took the Gov. Mule out and during a recovery blew up the front warn lockout and the 14 bolt rear driver side axle shaft. Replaced both parts but before I loaded it back on the trailer I dropped the diff cover to find that the Detroit has shelled. I have 2 weeks to get it up and going again before the next event. I will probably just order a Grizzly and see what happens. With a 429 on propane and 44 Boggers all 8,500 lbs of the Gov. Mule will truly test any locker. I am hoping the Grizzly will stay together if I snap another axle shaft in the future.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 77571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford381stroker View Post
Two weeks ago I took the Gov. Mule out and during a recovery blew up the front warn lockout and the 14 bolt rear driver side axle shaft. Replaced both parts but before I loaded it back on the trailer I dropped the diff cover to find that the Detroit has shelled. I have 2 weeks to get it up and going again before the next event. I will probably just order a Grizzly and see what happens. With a 429 on propane and 44 Boggers all 8,500 lbs of the Gov. Mule will truly test any locker. I am hoping the Grizzly will stay together if I snap another axle shaft in the future.
Be interested to see how the Grizz holds up.

Ended up going with a Detroit but I`ll always wonder..............
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
mja

Member # 159137
I've had the grizzly locker in my 14 bolt FF for about 2 months now. It has great road manners, and performs great offroad. im running 39.5 irocks and a 302 under the hood. Only a short time with it but so far I stand by it 100%.
mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I've had the grizzly locker in my 14 bolt FF for about 2 months now. It has great road manners, and performs great offroad. im running 39.5 irocks and a 302 under the hood. Only a short time with it but so far I stand by it 100%.
broken a shaft yet?

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
For me I'd never buy anything but small stuff from Randys. They're expensive and crappy imports. It's like if HF started charging Baileigh prices. If I want their stuff I'll just get it from India myself off ebay. Spend the coin on the Detroit or save more for an ARB.

JM2c
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Canada eh?

Member # 73077
I've only had the grizzly in my 14-bolt for a little while now, but I must say the road manners are awesome. I have 40" tires, 5.38's and a pretty heave rig and the thing drives around town almost the same as it did when it was stock.

Time will only tell how well it'll last after some time on the trails. I gotta say though; the teeth are huge on the thing. It looks pretty well-built.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 146499
I have a grizzly in my hp44 and it looks like a detroit ! and works great on and off the road and very well built !!!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
mja

Member # 159137
No broken shaft, we will see what happens on that day. But does it matter, with the replace or refund gig they have going you cant lose. And we all know everything breaks so the grizzly seems to be the best thing out there.
mja is offline   Reply With Quote