Pirate 4x4 banner

--- 80 Proof --- TJ Juggy Build

250K views 564 replies 109 participants last post by  Diablo169 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry after 3 days of trying to find a name for my build, 80 Proof is the best I could come up with. I haven't been feeling creative lately

First off, big thanks to all the great vendors on here.

This thread will cover the build up of my 00’ 4.0L TJ, and is not for the faint of heart, or democrats. I jumped on the band wagon and hacked up a decent low mile TJ. This will be a firewall back Juggy build. What will be left of the original TJ will be the upper half of the firewall, the cowl, hood and grill, as well as the frame to about where the seats are. The rest will be DOM tubing.

I debated whether or not to post my build because there are so many TJ builds already. But I figured what the hell, if it inspires someone or gives someone an idea then I guess it’s worth it.

That being said I am not an engineer, fabricator or body man. However, I’m a decent welder, and have researched a ton over the years as far a cage and suspension design. I am up for debate if someone sees errors or a flaws in my work or design.

This build began after I endoed at Pismo (Oceano Dunes) and pretty much destroyed the tub. The windshield pushed the B pillar hoop back and pulled the tub up and bent it in the middle. Also, destroyed the hood and windshield. It was suppose to be my last trip before I built an actual cage.

Parts and specifications (will keep updating):

4.0L (for now)
NV3550 (for now)
Atlas II 4.3
406YJ Custom H1 Wheels (Absolutely beautiful!)
43x14x16.5 TSL SX’s (On order)
115” to 120” Wheelbase
1 ¾” DOM .125
1 ¾” DOM .095 (bracing)
12.000lb Mile Marker
RCI 5 point harness’s
Beard Super Seats
RCI 12x12x30 Alu cell
E2000 Fuel Pump
Regulator (undecided)
XRP Stainless Lines

Front:
91’ HP60 Yukon 5.38’s
ARB
Ballistic Fab Truss and lower links
Poly Performance Track bar bracket and frame mounts
Knuckles (undecided)
Letzroll/ Beyond Insanity high steer arms
PSC Full Hydro
1350 Extreme slip South Bay Driveline
2” DOM .250 Links
16” Fox coilovers
XRP Stainless Lines

Rear:
14 Bolt Nitro 5.38’s
Grizzle Locker
Blue Torch Truss with pinion guard
Ballistic Fab Shave kit
Barns 4WD disc brackets
1350 CV shaft South Bay Driveline
2” DOM .250 Link
16” Fox coilovers
XRP Stainless Lines
Poly Performance 4 link brackets.

Now, the pics. Pictures will go from before to where I am now in sequence.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Off-roading

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Off-roading

Land vehicle Automotive tire Off-roading Tire Vehicle

Vehicle Auto part Machine

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Sand Automotive design

See less See more
#508 · (Edited)
Thank you for the kind words :)

Edit: I figured out what the loud whistle was, I had a loose Intake / Exhaust Manifold bolt. I tightened it up, and the whistle went away instantly.

Not sure why I do this to myself, but we had two pretty rainy cold days, so I spent a few hours cleaning up the under hood harness. It's kind of like an emissions legal hot rod harness. There is still more I can pull, but I started getting nervous, tomorrow will be testing day. Hopefully all monitors clear out, and I can take it in for SMOG Check.

Getting roomy.

Lots of wires...

Under hood is pretty much complete. I think I will run all accessories off of a distribution block that I will mount under the dash, that way it will be completely separate from the factory wire harness.

Looks pretty clean :smokin:

#510 ·
Thank you.

Probably not the best mount I have come up with, but its just two 3/16" tabs cut the same width as the slots on the side of the box, then I drilled holes so it clips in.

This is the best pic I could find.

#512 ·
^ Thank you!

I'm still battling a P0442, Small EVAP Leak. I think it's within either the Purge Solenoid, or Leak Detection Pump. Good thing is all the Readiness Monitors are set, and as soon as I get the EVAP Leak figured out, I can get her smogged.

I have a small update. I got my windshield Installed. I still need to finalize my Cowl, because right now I have a big hole above my dash :mad3:

I used 3/16" Scratch Resistant Lexan, or Bayer Macrolun to be exact. $243 from my local Tap Plastic. I had the Jeep up to about 50mph, and the windshield is solid, no flutter or distortion.

I started with a 24"x60". I was told not to add anything to it, such as Rain-X, and only use plastic cleaners.

I first made a template with some heavy construction paper.

Traced the template onto the piece.

Cut it out, and fit it to the window. marked the mounting holes, and drilled the holes.

It is very clear. and solid :smokin:

Also, Wifey got me a GoPro HERO 4 Black for Christmas. So I got some video to eventually put up. I told her I wanted one a long time ago. She said she ordered the most expensive Amazon bundle they had hoping to get the best camera. The bundle came with a bunch of mounts and brackets and stuff. 4K Crawling Video should be pretty sweet :smokin:

I used the quick clamp to mount the camera to the cage.

#520 ·
I like all windshield idea's mentioned. I did some quick searching before pulling the trigger, and I really didn't come up with any good first hand experience. 1/8" non scratch resistant Lexan would only be $31 for the same piece! Damn I should have gone that route, and I actually have 1/8" Lexan on hand :eek:

I think I found my EVAP Leak, P0442. I'll get some pics up tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it was the factory filler neck. JB Weld will set over night, and then I'll get it back together tomorrow and test it out.

#521 ·
ive been working with lexan for 14 years.

i've done many windows with it for both crane cabs. operator cabs and offroad vehicles.

#522 ·
^ Yeah, I think I'll be good. It's easy to work with also.

First time playing with the GoPro. I filmed the video in 1080 60fps. But after editing I saved it as 720p medium quality, to keep the size down. Well there is a huge difference! Oh well live and learn. Also, I will not be using that mount again, it isn't stable enough, and most of the video is shaky.

Well I thought I found my Small EVAP Leak P0442, .020 - .040. The Female threads for the gas cap are plastic, and pressed into the Filler Neck. Well mine was leaking. So I JB Welded the plastic to the metal. Erased the code, and ran it again. This time I got another code, P0456, Very Small EVAP Leak, Less than .020 :mad3: So more searching.

#528 ·
Before the Dash and Passeger Floor I could see almost the entire front right tire!

You know anyone with a smoke machine? A very small leak is hard to visually see but is do able. There's a company called ATS who makes a CO2 leak detection system called Bullseye.
It works.
I was watching some YouTube videos on making your own smoke test machine. I have a few more options hopefully before I go that route.

If you haven't replaced gas cap yet I'd rule that out.
Yeah, that was the first thing I tried with no change.

Hay saw you at Summit store the other day. Jeep is looking good!
Thanks, sorry I missed you. I'll shoot you a PM once she's ready for an actual maiden voyage.

Hot damn. Came together nicely and I'm borrowing your windshield idea. Curious as to how wide the deck of your trailer is?
Thank you, windshield made a huge difference with my eyes not watering when driving over 10mph, and cut down on the chill substantially! Not wide enough. Trailer is 83" Jeep is 89" Front and 88" Rear. I have future plans to widen it and build drive over fenders. For now I am driving over the right fender, and smashing it pretty good.

#524 ·
You know anyone with a smoke machine? A very small leak is hard to visually see but is do able. There's a company called ATS who makes a CO2 leak detection system called Bullseye.
It works.

#526 ·
Hay saw you at Summit store the other day. Jeep is looking good!

#529 ·
I'm loosing a little motivation. My vacation is almost over and I haven't been able to smog it yet :mad3:

Here are some pics of my exhaust that I put together. It works pretty well. Flow master sounds like a wet fart, wish I would of saved the $90 bucks and just run a straight pipe :shaking:

Here is the front section. It clamps to the Y that is below the front of the engine. Piping is 2 1/2" to the Cat, and then 2 1/4" after the Cat.

Hard to tell, but I was able to raise the exhaust about 1 1/2" higher than from the factory.

I used these pieces to make the after cat section. 2 1/4" 180, FlowMaster Super 44 Center 2 1/4" In & Out.

It also clamps in.

Everything clears well, and I think I can still fit a Sway Bar. I still need to add one more rear hanger.

Also, I replaced the Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder. I wasn't getting full clutch disengagement, so I figured a bad master. Luckily I was able to remove the whole system together, which made bench bleeding it much easier. Parts are from RockAuto. RhinoPac items look high quality, hopefully they hold up.

#530 ·
If you had a trust worthy pressure regulator you might be able to put 5psi of shop air into the system pre Purge solenoid. Then work your way back and spray down system with soap and water. You may have to jumper wire the vent Solenoid Shut.

#531 ·
^ That is exactly what I did, good call! I pulled the vent line to the tank and I probably over pressurized the system. I turned it down to about 4-5psi. I hope I didn't blow out the seals, I read during test, it only tests at about .25psi.

Looks like the filler neck is still leaking :mad3: I checked, it's not the Gas Cap. It also looks like the electric connectors on the Fuel Pump Assembly are leaking, not sure how to deal with that one.

Odd thing, I erased the code, and I can't get it to come back.

#532 ·
On your windshield, did you oversize the holes in the Lexan? Reason I ask is that when it sits in the sun and warms up, it will "grow". Tight fitting bolts will cause problems with spider webbing around the holes and eventually bigger problems.

Great build by the way. Enjoy it.

Kevin

#534 ·
The holes are oversized, but I did tighten the bolts down pretty tight. I didn't really think about future issues. Maybe I'll switch out the washers for some rubber backed washers and then just tighten the bolts snug, and check them ever so often.

#533 ·
I can't believe how much more I have to do...

I hopefully fixed the EVAP Leak. I just flooded the Electrical Plugs on the pump with some Moto Seal. Kind of like gasket maker, but dries pretty hard. The JB Weld cracked on the filler neck, I think I applied it to thin. I coated it with Moto Seal as well, should hold at least till I get it smogged.

RockTard came over and helped me with some stuff.

I built a light bar. Probably overkill 1 1/2" .120. I cut and welded the factory mounting tabs to the new bar. Total weight with lights 29lbs!

(2) 20" Dual Row 7w Phillips from SideTracked Offroad here on pirate. Lifetime Warranty! I'm also in this pic, I'm figuring out a front Winch Mount/ Bumper. I have this new 12K Mile Marker, but I'm not sure if I want to run it.

I had him custom make them with the centers Flood, and the outside Spot. Each one has 36 7w LED's and put out 15,100 Raw Lumens. So I should have enough light for night wheeling. Also, in this pic, I'm taking measurements for extending the cowl.

I have to remake the support tube, The one I made was way to long :mad3:

RockTard also helped me get the side templates made up. Using straight cuts of paper board makes everything easier!

Perfect fit both sides, first try:smokin: I had to reorder Rivnuts so, I'll wait till I get the panels fully mounted to mark out and trim the wheel openings.

#538 · (Edited)
Yeah, It might be there till the weekend. Hopefully your garage has a weekly rate :laughing:

Thanks for taking it to get smogged. Now its time to get her ready for KOH.:mr-t: What a better maiden voyage :smokin:

EDIT: I know you used it to pick up on high school chicks, so I think we're even.

#542 ·
Thank you.

Congratulations on the smog check! We don't have those here, and I cannot tell you how glad I am for that.

I found your thread when looking for scratch built rigs for motivation, and I just read all 22 pages in one go.
You did very nice work - and just what I needed to see someone doing (and succeeding at).

So kudos, and best of luck with it once you hit the trail.
Thank you, your post gave me motivation to work on it :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.