Pirate 4x4 banner

--- 80 Proof --- TJ Juggy Build

250K views 564 replies 109 participants last post by  Diablo169 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry after 3 days of trying to find a name for my build, 80 Proof is the best I could come up with. I haven't been feeling creative lately

First off, big thanks to all the great vendors on here.

This thread will cover the build up of my 00’ 4.0L TJ, and is not for the faint of heart, or democrats. I jumped on the band wagon and hacked up a decent low mile TJ. This will be a firewall back Juggy build. What will be left of the original TJ will be the upper half of the firewall, the cowl, hood and grill, as well as the frame to about where the seats are. The rest will be DOM tubing.

I debated whether or not to post my build because there are so many TJ builds already. But I figured what the hell, if it inspires someone or gives someone an idea then I guess it’s worth it.

That being said I am not an engineer, fabricator or body man. However, I’m a decent welder, and have researched a ton over the years as far a cage and suspension design. I am up for debate if someone sees errors or a flaws in my work or design.

This build began after I endoed at Pismo (Oceano Dunes) and pretty much destroyed the tub. The windshield pushed the B pillar hoop back and pulled the tub up and bent it in the middle. Also, destroyed the hood and windshield. It was suppose to be my last trip before I built an actual cage.

Parts and specifications (will keep updating):

4.0L (for now)
NV3550 (for now)
Atlas II 4.3
406YJ Custom H1 Wheels (Absolutely beautiful!)
43x14x16.5 TSL SX’s (On order)
115” to 120” Wheelbase
1 ¾” DOM .125
1 ¾” DOM .095 (bracing)
12.000lb Mile Marker
RCI 5 point harness’s
Beard Super Seats
RCI 12x12x30 Alu cell
E2000 Fuel Pump
Regulator (undecided)
XRP Stainless Lines

Front:
91’ HP60 Yukon 5.38’s
ARB
Ballistic Fab Truss and lower links
Poly Performance Track bar bracket and frame mounts
Knuckles (undecided)
Letzroll/ Beyond Insanity high steer arms
PSC Full Hydro
1350 Extreme slip South Bay Driveline
2” DOM .250 Links
16” Fox coilovers
XRP Stainless Lines

Rear:
14 Bolt Nitro 5.38’s
Grizzle Locker
Blue Torch Truss with pinion guard
Ballistic Fab Shave kit
Barns 4WD disc brackets
1350 CV shaft South Bay Driveline
2” DOM .250 Link
16” Fox coilovers
XRP Stainless Lines
Poly Performance 4 link brackets.

Now, the pics. Pictures will go from before to where I am now in sequence.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Off-roading

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Off-roading

Land vehicle Automotive tire Off-roading Tire Vehicle

Vehicle Auto part Machine

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Sand Automotive design

See less See more
#540 ·
Congratulations on the smog check! We don't have those here, and I cannot tell you how glad I am for that.

I found your thread when looking for scratch built rigs for motivation, and I just read all 22 pages in one go.
You did very nice work - and just what I needed to see someone doing (and succeeding at).

So kudos, and best of luck with it once you hit the trail.

#541 ·
Well I just got off of an emergency job where I put in 125 hours in 7 days. Needless to say, I'm running out of time to get ready for KOH.

I'm trying to focus on the necessary items such as Body Panels, ARB Compressor, and lighting. I'm going to try and squeeze the Stereo in if possible.

I got the engine skid fully installed today. Frame made with 1x1 .120 wall, and skid is 3/16", Should hold up.

Did a quick front end. Smittybilt Raised Winch Mount $108 Amazon, and some Curt Tow Hooks. I also angled in the bumper ends.

I got both side panels mounted up. I just need to shape the wheel wells.

#547 · (Edited)
The plan was to head down to KOH at noon today and believe it or not the Jeep was ready. The powers that be deemed it necessary to throw a monkey wrench in the plans and stole Diablo away for another emergency job. Here are a few of the pictures I grabbed while we were in process last night I'm sure Diablo will update this weekend.

This is 8 hours prior to heading to KOH (which didn't happen).

1am is a terrible time to find out the new rocker switch doesn't work.

Most Expensive Work Bench ever!

Rock Lights :smokin:

All the LUMENS!

#548 ·
Well, I didn't make it to KOH, it's been pretty rough at work, but we put together a last minute trip to Hollister Hills.

Carnage report. Jammed right rear bump stop, bent front right lower link, caved in driver side of the hood, boiled over Power Steering multiple times, and scratched the $hit out of the under carriage. Not bad for 4 hours of wheels at a groomed OHV park :laughing:

That being said, Jeep performed awesome and we had a pretty good time.

Rocktard took lots of pics, so we'll get more up soon.

Shit'll buff out :D

#549 ·
Well I put together a 10 minute video, but it doesn't seem to want to upload to YouTube. So I guess I'll just throw up some pics.

A whole shit ton of work has gone into this thing to get it fully ready. Once again thanks in part to FordFascist, RockTard and my brother for helping me get all the accessories in and wired up. Now I'm pushing to make Easter Jeep Safari 2016 :smokin:

Here are some of the shots from Hollister.

Not only is that a bro hat, but I'm pimping Vision X, and I don't even have any of their lights :shaking:

Side Panels painted and installed.

High Lift jack was last minute placed on top using High Lift Tube Mounts, but I like it, so I think it's going to stay there. Yeti is fastened tightly thanks to some Turn Buckles, and CB Dual Antenna's are bolted in place.

Guess how that landing felt...

#550 ·
Well, a lot of updating to do to this thread. I got back from Easter Jeep Safari and had a pretty good time. We learned that JK guys aren't really our crowd, and that Moab completely shuts down by 9pm. But we had a good time, no major issues.

I'm still battling PS boiling over. I bought a new pump same style as my old from M4O, but it still boiled over. I was also getting dead spots in the steering which lead to me almost running into BDS's trailer while drive 30mph through town. Zero steering is not cool. I need to read through the KOH Steering Thread in Gen 4x for some help. I'm really at a loss of what my issue is.

I was just getting at it and I almost rolled 15' into Kane Creek, can I blame the steering?

Our camp. FordFacist's new race trailer kept the wind and dust at bay.

Didn't fix the problem

#551 ·
you checked your reservoir return? Seems to me the #1 cause of most problems like this is cavitation caused by too long or too flat or a return line.

#553 ·
My return from the reservoir is only about 8" long, 5/8" diameter and drops about 3" from reservoir to pump. My lines to and from my cooler are pretty long though.

i bet you are sucking air on the intake side. make a new hose or find a way to pressure check it.

your spring sliders are on upside down.
I'm going to recheck and try to fully bleed the entire system, and check the fittings. I also remember reading something about the old PSC reservoirs causing issues. I had this same issue 10 years ago when I installed this same system when I went Ram assist. If it is a pump issue, I don't see how two of these pumps could give me the same issues.

Another problem I was thinking could be if I didn't fully bleed my Dual Pass Derale cooler, and it might have an air pocket in it.

I'll do some more reading and keep this updated.

#554 ·
bleed system with cooler laying on the ground fittings up.

the reservoir issue from what i have read had something to do with were the return was and it was causing cavitation.

#555 ·
This was what I was referring to. 8" sounds like a long return for only 3" drop. Any curves, turns or anything? I know the return lines tend to be small, consider pulling the pump and drilling the return fitting and possibly the reservoir outlet to bump up hose size. Going up one size can drastically improve flow without having to repackage things

#556 ·
Well, I haven't had the Jeep out much at all since Moab, so I never really tackled the steering issue. I'm going to install the newer design PSC reservoir. I read that the old style was causing cavitation issues. I'm also going to replace the feed line with some -10 Braided Russell line, in case the line is being pinched by vacuum.

If this doesn't fix it, the only other option is to replace the pump. I'm assuming the pump is probably the problem. This is my second pump of the same style, and with both I've had the same boiling over issue. It's just hard to believe it's the pumps design, seeing that this was a matching set purchased from PSC. The fact that PSC doesn't offer this pump anymore tells me that I'm not the only one with this issue.

New PSC Reservoir. -6 Return, -10 Feed.
Auto part Automotive piston Muffler Automotive engine part Piston ring

Front end and Steering fully torn apart getting ready for Dusy this weekend!
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

#558 ·
I don't know, but it's been kicking ass, well at least the few times I've had it out.

Were planning a 4th of July Rubicon run, but it sounds like the trail is in pretty rough shape still.

I finally got my account unlocked, so maybe I can update. I never got around to fixing the steering, I still need to figure that one out.

Some pics till I get an actual update.

KOH 2017

Spooners is no joke.

Dusy 2016

#560 · (Edited)
Hahaha, Oh yeah I also remember that time I couldn't leave my Jeep unattended, it was pretty much the whole trip. The glitter bombed 43's was a nice touch.

The Hilary flag almost got us shot, and the rainbow flag got us lots of thumbs up :confused:

And @rocktard renaming my Jeep the LGBTJ was awesome as well.

#564 ·
It's still kicking. Didn't make KOH this year, My little guy is now 2 so I have a bit more free time. Spending the week in a hotel, and then coming home on Friday and leaving for a weekend wheeling trip isn't all to easy to pull off lol.

I have some small updates coming for it. I never actually put pictures of finishing it up!

#565 ·
I never posted pics of the electronics. After having it complete for the past 2 years, I think I want to go back and redo all the electrical and make it a little cleaner and more waterproof. I recently added a Bussmann RTM prewired relay box and a 100amp breaker to my Tacoma. I added Weather Pack connectors, and It came out much cleaner than the buggy. Nothing wrong with the buggy, just it isn't as clean or as water proof as I want.

Here are pics of the Tacoma. It has 5 Constant hots, and 5 30 amp relays

It's a lot of work though, so not so sure how soon I want to get on it lol!

This is what I used for the Stereo, and it has worked awesome. I just ordered 2 more MTX Wakeboard Speakers so I can use all 800watts of the amp. I added Kickers into the dash, but they are pretty much useless. The Clarion EQ is badass. It's very easy to adjust and sounds very clean.

Amp was placed in the Buyers Box, bolted to the top. It has only Thermo Shut down once,and that was do to Madonna at full volume last 4th of July at Buck Island.

I mounted everything in a Tuffy 6.5" Center Console. Probably one of the best mods I've done. It is locking, has cup holders and a soft elbow pad, completely worth to $250. I can leave phones , GoPro, Wallet ect and not even worry about it.

Not sure if I put up any pics of the Fuel Cell Filler neck I made to work with. It has held up and hasn't leaked.I sealed it up with some Moto RTV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.